Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Should We Call E.T.? by Diane Burton




With the exception of a few movies (e.g., Star Trek: First Contact), aliens have invaded Earth mostly for the same reason—invasion and destruction of humankind or we have something they need (like water in Oblivion). If we’re able to make contact with aliens, will they be “good” aliens who want to help us further our exploration of space? Or will they be “bad” guys who want to destroy us?

That presumes we’re capable of contacting aliens. Scientists are trying to figure out a way. A study announced earlier this month by MIT proposed that laser technology would be used to announce our presence in this part of the universe. 


On one of our trips home from Arizona, we stopped near Socorro, New Mexico to see the Very Large Array, a field of twenty-seven 25-foot radio telescopes that are used to investigate the heavens. At the same time, we’re taking in information, we’re also letting E.T. know that we’re home.

While standing near those huge telescopes (that remind me of satellite dishes), I was filled with excitement as I remembered the movie Contact when Jody Foster’s character discovered signals from an unknown world while working with SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute at Aricebo, Puerto Rico.


Having seen too many science fiction movies where the aliens resemble giant insects or lizards, I want to know where are the aliens that are humanoid? Like in sci-fi romances? I wouldn’t mind if they have pointed ears (like the Vulcans in Star Trek) or are warriors like the Klingons. In my sci-fi romances, my aliens are not creepy. But, what if in real life, they are creepy? Disgusting looking? District 9, anyone? Okay, I know I shouldn't judge any being by its appearance. How that being looks is no indication of its intelligence, ethics, or purpose.

What if they don't come in peace? What if they don't want to be friends? What if they only want our minerals and the heck with the inhabitants? Do we really want to transmit signals that say “hey, guys, here we are”?

Something to think about.


10 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

My favorite is Arrival which I find the most realistic as far as actual first contact(and a subtle romantic story thrown in along with Jeremy Renner's not so subtle biceps!). If you think about the communication problems on our own planet, should we really be inviting company over?

Maureen said...

I love those movies. I was always fascinated with space as a child, and for a very brief time I thought I might like to be an astronaut- until I realized I was afraid of heights and a little claustrophobic. So a career in a tiny spaceship seemed unlikely.

Diane Burton said...

Nancy, I agree about Arrival. Communication is the key. Remember the repeating of musical notes on Close Encounters of the Third Kind? If they do come--and if they're friendly--we'll find a way to communicate. If they're not friendly, they'll blast us.

Diane Burton said...

Maureen, I have always been fascinated by space travel. I have a fear of heights, too, but flying in an airplane doesn't bother me. Go figure.

Francesca Quarto said...

Personally, we should keep our lasers turned off and not let the "Others" know of our existence. Some folks think we'd be invaded and our planet usurped as a new colony for some race of crab-like aliens. Me, I think we just need to stay on earth. We've done enough damage to our planet, without moving on to others!
Glad for the great post Diane. I got to spout off a bit!

Diane Burton said...

Francesca, LOL. Spout all you want. We have messed up this planet. What could we do to another one?

Nightingale said...

Does anyone remember the original movie The Day the Earth Stood Still? Fascinating subject for your blog, Diane.

Jane Kindred said...

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

They would meet us and hurry back to their own planet.

laixinjie said...

remember I had a similar experience, so I know your mood well, good luck, by the way
I like custom picture blankets