Friday, January 4, 2019

Making More Room for Magic by Getting Rid of My Bestie


I’m not making a resolution this year. Instead, I’m making a decision. 
Deciding to spend less time with my “bestie”. Saying I’ll spend no time with my bestie is unrealistic, as much as I’d like to show her the door. Because you see, sometimes small doses of her are helpful and motivate me. It’s the extended visits that I’d like to stop. 
You see, my bestie for the last year or so has been, Stress. 

Spend Less Time with Stress


Stress has been hogging the time I wanted to spend with family and friends. Stealing my attention even when I’m with the ones I love, and distracting me from writing and doing the things I enjoy. 
She wakes me up at night, wastes hours of my time, and coerces me into believing that she’ll leave if I pay more attention to her, or eat all the foods I’ve resolved to eat less of. 
She’s a bad influence, and unfortunately, she likes to be the life of the party. When she visits, she rarely comes alone. 
She hangs out with a bad crowd and brings Worry, Doubt, Fear, and sometimes more, of her unsavory friends. Sometimes they sneak in and I don’t even realize they’ve all crowded in until there’s no room for Optimism.

Make Room for Optimism


It used to be that I didn’t recognize Stress at first. 
She’d arrive disguised as Fatigue, Anxiety, or Irritability. Then there are other times that she didn’t even come to see me, she came to see others that I love, yet I invited her in and cleared a seat on my shoulders until Tension took her place.
This time I’ve decided that she’s worn out her welcome. I know I can’t get rid of her, but I also know her visits are detrimental and I hope to see less of her. 
I also realize I might have to make this resolution more than once a year, maybe every month, and sometimes every day, because Stress can be tenacious. 

Make 2019 More Magical



I plan to be more mindful of how much time we spend together, and find ways to get rid of her once she’s started to wear out her welcome. 
I hope to recognize if she’s not come to see me and help my loved ones shorten her visit rather than sharing in entertaining her and allowing Stress to drain us all.
I intend to become better acquainted with Appreciation, Enjoyment, and Happiness. 
Making a little time for them each day, because the days will pass, as will many worries and stressors, and I’d rather spend that time dreaming, instead of dreading, each precious minute. 

Happy New Year!

What Are You Giving the Boot to Make Room for Magic this Year?


Author Bio: Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. Find Maureen on her websiteFacebookTwitter
Be the first to know about Maureen’s book sales and new releases by following her on BookBubAmazonand/or signing up for her newsletter

5 comments:

Diane Burton said...

What a great post, Maureen. I'm so sorry Stress has hung around so long. Stress sucks the life out of us. It's time to boot it out the door. How is the question? I think your concept of removing it every day will help. Meditation helps, too. Good luck on relaxing and enjoying one day at a time.

Maureen said...

Thanks, Diane! Working on making 2019 much less stressful. I hope it's a great year for you!

Nancy Gideon said...

I have friends like that that take up waaaaay too much of my time. Yep, time to give them the boot this year. Thanks for the inspiring post, Maureen!

Lea Kirk said...

Thank you for those inspiring words, Maureen! I've been hanging out with this crowd too, recently. Gotta get back to my true friends.

Nightingale said...

I hope you have a new bestie this year--happiness.