Wednesday, March 13, 2019

How Do You Kickstart Your Muse? by Diane Burton


Last week, a colleague posted on Facebook, asking for help. She was adrift, having lost her day job and searching for a new one has been frustrating. While she has the time to write, she can’t get motivated. She asked if it’s ever happened to anyone else.

My response and several others was an overwhelming YES! Been there.

So what do you do when your work-in-progress (any of them) doesn’t interest you. And no new idea is popping up. Several writers responded with suggestions. As I wrote my response, I thought this would make a great post. Most of us go through something similar. A time in our lives when we just don’t feel like writing.

The following writers offered suggestions:

Anne K. Stone
Tracy Ragap Keely
A frequent suggestion is to read. When the well is dry, you can't get anything out of it. Stress has a way of drying up creativity. Take this time to read—in your genre as well as in other genres. Try something new.

Follow Julia Cameron’s (The Artist’s Way) advice and write “morning pages.” Every morning, write three pages in longhand (pen on paper). Stream of consciousness. Vent about the job search, life in general. If you can’t think of anything to write, write “I can’t think of anything to write” over and over until something occurs to you. Another recommended book is Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Since writing is a right-brain activity, try something left-brain: cleaning out files, organizing research, re-organizing notebooks, type up research notes.

Write for fun. Something crazy and wild. Something you’d never submit. Don’t worry about publication.

You know those templates that you get at workshops or are available online? Character sketches, world-building outlines, etc. Fill them out for your WIP.

Read movie blurbs (newspaper, Netflix, TV guide). Take the blurb of a movie you haven’t seen and start writing. Remember, it’s for fun. Or write Fan Fiction. Write an episode of your favorite TV show. (FYI, my high school girlfriend and I used to do that; with ourselves as the main character. 😊).

Write questions about your character (or the plot). If you can’t answer, ask another question. Interview your character. You get to play both roles, interviewer and interviewee (as the character).

Write a short story for Women’s World magazine. They have a Facebook group for potential authors.

Check out OneWord.com. A new word is presented each day. Write about that word for sixty seconds (or longer). That might stimulate an idea.

Watch movies. Binge watch a series. It’s passive, but possibly what you need right now.

Since you have the time, this is a good time to take a writing class. A couple of people recommended classes by Becca Syme, writing coach. If you belong to a writers’ organization (like Romance Writers of America) check their website for classes.

Watch YouTube videos that help your research (e.g., women in Elizabethan or Victorian times.)

Write one paragraph a day on your WIP. The lack of pressure may help you write more, but don’t force it.

Get a writing buddy and go to a coffee shop and write. No internet, turn off your phone, no distractions. Some writers use noise-cancelling headphones for even less distraction.

The best advice, though, was hang in there. Give yourself time to settle into the new “normal” (whatever that is). The desire to write will come back. It’ll take time.

My thanks to the lovely ladies who responded to our friend’s cry for help. We all want her to succeed. In the process, she’s helping all of us who go through the doldrums more often than we’d like.

What do you do to kickstart your Muse?




16 comments:

Francesca Quarto said...

When we suffered a house fire almost three years back, I escaped into my laptop every morning and whenever I could during the day. I was in the middle of writing book three in my series,and my characters kept me focused on their troubles so I could deal with my own!!
Thanks for your own timely insights, Diane!

Francesca Q.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this, Diane. For other readers of your blog, I'm the colleague who posted, and I'm happy to report that the encouragement + using some of the suggestions = a definite budging of that barrier in my brain that wouldn't let me write. And I force myself to remind myself to stop putting pressure on myself (lots of myselfs, lol) until the stress goes down. Fellow writers (not to mention family and friends) are the best--they've always got your back!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

ALL great advice!
Thanks for sharing
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Margo Hoornstra said...

I think the most valuable ‘lesson’ learned is to know we’re not alone. It’s always good to know sometimes our suggestions do make a difference to someone else. Thanks for putting this up. I learned too.

Diane Burton said...

Francesca, thanks for sharing. A disaster adds so much stress. Focusing on your characters must have helped you get through that.

Diane Burton said...

Linda, I'm so glad all those suggestions (which had to be overwhelming) helped. Knowing that others have been there and survived really helps. Sometimes, we're harder on ourselves than anything others might do. Plus we're our own worst enemy. Good luck!

Diane Burton said...

Pam, thanks for stopping by. Always appreciate the blessing you share.

Diane Burton said...

Margo, you are so right. Knowing we're not alone makes such a difference. But when we reach out to others, we're bound to discover a whole world of support.

Diana Stout said...

Great blog, Diane. Ditto what Margo said about we're not alone in this problem. I love love love your new cover photo!

Maureen said...

Great advice! For me, it's to just start writing, something, anything. Often the muse will show itself after awhile. It might be crappy writing, but it's keeping the writing muscles flexed.

Alina K. Field said...

I just finished a read-through of The Artist's Way, and I'm going to go back to the beginning and do this as a one-step a week program for myself. I highly recommend that book, plus, all the suggestions here are great.

Alyssa Alexander said...

A great collection of tips from authors who have been there!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Diana. I love the cover, too! Knowing we're not alone is such a help.

Diane Burton said...

Maureen, that's what helps me, too. Opening the file and reading a couple of pages from where I ended gets me going. Usually.

Diane Burton said...

Alina, thanks. I need to get that book out and reread it.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Alyssa. You of all of us know what it's like to be stumped. Hope some of the suggestions help.