Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Priorities by Diane Burton



How many times have you heard someone say, “I want to xxx (write a book, learn to dance, go to Paris . . .)” and they don’t. We all have reasons why we don’t do what we want to do. Not enough time (or money), other plans or obligations, whatever.

I’ve always believed that if you want something badly enough, you’ll find a way to make it happen. Or, at least try. You have to know what you’re getting yourself into first. Cost in terms of time and money, education, the requirements. Can someone do it for you (e.g., set up a trip to Paris or a website)? Or is this a DIY project?

At many book events, people stop by the booth and say with a sigh, “I don’t have time to read.” I find that so sad. That person is missing out on a world beyond their doorstep. Reading takes us to places we’ll never visit. For me, it’s space and other planets. Same for Australia or China. Too far, too expensive. But, I can read about those places and vicariously visit.

Or, they’ll say, “I always wanted to write a book.” In high school, my girlfriend and I wrote stories (now called Fan Fiction, only we didn’t know it at the time) in which we wrote ourselves into a current TV show and, of course, the hero fell in love with us. We never considered that would be the end of the show. LOL

Like many adults, I put away childish things (like writing), got a job, married, had a family. I still read like crazy, though. When my kids headed off to college, I decided it was My Time. And I decided to write a book. That was over twenty-five years ago. With the exception of a couple of years’ hiatus, I haven’t stopped. Writing is a priority.

I just mentioned a hiatus. My priorities changed. As much as I wanted to write, family obligations came first.

Ghandi’s quote makes so much sense. What we do, says what our priorities are. That’s the difference between what we say we want and what we actually do.

I came across that quote after I missed another posting date. I don’t like what that says about my priorities.





8 comments:

Maureen said...

Great post! So true, that we all have the same amount of time, we just have to decide how to prioritize our days. I don't get to read as much as I'd like, or as much as I used to, but I'd never say I don't have time for it. Even if it's stealing a few minutes.

Denise Covey said...

Love that Ghandi quote. So powerful and can change a person's perspective. I can't imagine a world where books didn't exist in whatever form.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Diane! I'm not sure how I ended up here, because I was trying to find another person who left on comment on my post yesterday. But I'm glad I did because I enjoyed your post. My retirement, almost seven years in, is not at all like I planned. I haven't gotten past writing, photography, traveling, getting in shape, and cooking from scratch on a long list of things. (I've ALWAYS read!) I really anticipated becoming a community activist and more involved politically. But my actions told me what my real priorities were, even if I imagined otherwise. I may not get to other items on my list, and by now I'm realizing that is okay. I'm glad that you are set in a My Time life and have realized your writing dreams! Have a good one!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Maureen. I've conditioned myself to say I don't make time for something rather than I don't have time. It's a choice. Stealing time from one thing for another is the way to go.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks for stopping by, Denise. That quote came at the right moment for me. It all boils down to choices. I don't like my subconscious choices sometimes. But I've made them and have to deal with them.

Diane Burton said...

However you got here, Fundy Blue, I'm glad you did. When we think about retirement while we're still working, we make all kinds of plans--things we'll do, places we'll visit, how we'll spend out time. I found my bucket list pushed to the side while I tend to other things. Right before I retired, my 1st grandchild was born. Spending time with her rank high on that list. Now we have 5 and they all live close by. It's not uncommon for us to drop everything to babysit or drive them to dance, karate, preschool, wherever. I don't begrudge the fact that my plans get put on hold. They are my priority.

Nightingale said...

Diane, I'm late but I got here. I'm very guilty of that very non-action, and I am retired. Must stop saying 'I want to' and do.

Unknown said...

la source originale Dolabuy Gucci ici Vérifiez ceci passez sur ce site Chloe Dolabuy