Thursday, August 1, 2019

More NASA Stuff by Diane Burton


I hope you aren't tired of my posts about NASA. During Amazon's Prime Days, I grabbed a copy of the DVD, First Man, about Neil Armstrong that culminated in his walk on the moon. From the film, I learned so much I didn't know about him. Since I love the bonus features on DVDs, I learned even more. 



Watching the film last week was appropriate since we just celebrated the 50th Anniversary of that momentous event. Fifty years! That is so hard to believe. In a little over 15 years, the U.S. went from watching the Russians put Sputnik in orbit to putting a man on the moon. Amazing!



Because my formative years were spent watching the "space race" and my classroom was always plastered with photos of the original astronauts, I've been geeked over humans leaving Earth to explore space. Gene Roddenberry called it "The Final Frontier." We've explored everywhere on this planet, but that's not enough. What else is out there?

When my mother-in-law died at age 102, I remember thinking that in her lifetime she'd seen the beginning of flight with the Wright Brothers to men walking on the moon. How fast were the advances in flight.



Will there be habitats on the moon? How soon? With the Artemis program (that I wrote about last time) we're going back to the moon. The crew will stay on a space station-like platform orbiting the moon then travel back and forth gathering info and doing experiments. What will they find? Scientists are hoping to discover something about the origins of life.



I wonder if, from the moon, they'll build another space station as a stopover on the way to Mars. Babysteps. Each mission building those before. I'm thrilled to read about new missions. But, sadly (for me), I probably won't live to see all those advances in space exploration. 

So, I'll continue to write about what I think will happen. What I hope will happen. And I'll teach my grandkids to be awed by NASA's new missions.


http://amzn.com/e/B00683MH5E


8 comments:

Maureen said...

I've always been fascinated by space and enjoy your posts. For a very brief time I thought I might like to be an astronaut until I remembered my fear of heights and small spaces, lol.

Diane Burton said...

I'm with you about fear of heights. I wanted to be an astronaut, too. But they were only hiring men--and military men. I think I was ahead of my time. lol

Nightingale said...

Excellent post, Diane. You, too, have the most interesting posts. I'm sure no one is getting tired of them. Your books must be very informative you do so much research.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I'm not tired of reading your NASA posts! My daughters and I had a great time visiting the Space Center in Houston last year. I agree, it's mind-blowing to think of the advancements made in such a short time!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Linda. When I was in school, I hated research. Now it's fun.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Patty. I visited Cape Kennedy space center years ago. Fascinating. This winter, we stopped in Huntsville, AL to the center there. Wow. So much to see.

Alina K. Field said...

The future is so exciting! I'm looking forward to driverless cars here on earth!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I find Space fascinating....
Very interesting posts
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT