Sunday, August 25, 2019

The Next Chapter . . . Where to go from Here? by Nancy Gideon


When one chapter closes, another begins. So it is with life. The same is true with writing. Since 2010, I’ve completed almost 400 chapters in my “By Moonlight” shapeshifter series. It’s hard to believe the last page will be done before the year’s end. That’s close to 7,000 pages since I began the initial prologue! All following the same storyline with the same characters. It’s been an adventure, a challenge, a frustration, a delight. And soon it’s going to be over.

These characters and their problems have consumed my non-9-to-5 hours. I’m embarrassed to say my conversations and stolen moments with them have taken up more hours of the day than my friends and family. I used to worry about what might happen if they stopped talking to me. Now, I know they’re about to fall silent.

What now?

My relationship with these characters has lasted longer than most marriages. I have to move on. I know that. But where do I go? After looking at my project file, I realize I have more opportunities than a dating app! Apparently, other heroes and heroines have spoken to me over these past two decades, but I haven’t been listening.


I’m listening now.

I don’t know about you, but I’m a pathological plotter. I like big plots and I cannot lie! I developed a six book contemporary series complete with character names, story arcs and titles on the drive back from a writers’ retreat! Plotting is a safe escape when you KNOW you don’t have time to actually sit down and write the full books. I’ve got over a quarter of a century of storylines to choose from broken down into different genres: historical, contemporary, suspense, YA paranormal, even horror! I’ve got completed proposals with chapters. I’ve got handwritten manuscripts. I’ve got outlines and exhaustive notes. I’ve even got a substantial backlist to either market or self-publish. An embarrassment of riches that will outlast my lifetime. But this ADD/OCD gal feels like she’s standing in front of the donut display case trying to pick just one while an impatient line waits behind me. They all look good. Rich, tasty, fulfilling. Sigh . . . What if I don’t like the one I choose? Do I reeeeeally want to go back to work for a publisher? Do I want to learn the ins and outs of a new market? Do I want to shop for a – God forbid – agent? 


Before I fall into a procrastination coma, I’m going to throw the above out to you? WWMPNRPD? What would my PNR pals do? If you were me, what would you pick? What would you like to read? What would grab an audience in today’s market? Don’t say which ever one excites me because these projects are like those dreamy himbos on the Bachelorette – they all look good but living with them is a different matter. Decisions, decisions . . .

While I concentrate on finishing the project at hand, I’ll entertain your thoughts on my options for the next decade. I’m listening . . .
♚♚♚♚♚
Nancy Gideon on the Web


5 comments:

Francesca Quarto said...


Whatever you choose to bring alive will reflect the winning formula of your past works! here's to deeper waters!

Francesca Q.

Diane Burton said...

I love your first graphic. So true! Like you, I have so many ideas...and so little time to transform them all into full books. Letting go of characters you've been with for so long has got to be beyond hard. Excruciating. What to plan next? I'd ask myself which genre do I want to write. You're known for shifters and vampires. Do you want to try something else in the PNR realm?

I would look at my files and see what storyline I have the most completed. Does it spark your interest? Or to quote Marie Kondo, does it give you joy? Whatever you choose will be great!

Sheila S. said...

Hi Nancy...I must admit that I will be so sad to let go of "By Moonlight", especially Mac and Charlotte. But...I totally trust you to write next something I will love!
I loved your Midnight series and your Moonlight series. The Terriotts were all great characters also.
Just surprise us! I know I will love anything you write. Anyone who could bring us Max Savoie can do anything!
Happy writing!

Teresa Cypher said...

One of those characters longing to be brought to life must be shouting the loudest above the din of voices in your head. I'd answer that one. :-)

Seriously, I have no idea, Nancy. You're a fabulous writer and I know that whichever idea you choose to move forward on, it will be well worth reading!

Nancy Gideon said...

The one shouting the loudest now is my WIP. Maybe once the din dies down I'll start hearing the whisper of the others narrow down into a single roar.