Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Post-Apocolyptic Dystopia Meets Snowpiercer by Diane Burton

 



I am a huge movie and TV series fan. No surprise there if you've read my posts. A couple of years ago, Hubs happened upon Snowpiercer, the movie. I caught bits and pieces of it. Since I'm not a fan of Tilda Swinton, I didn't pay much attention. Shortly after, I caught Snowpiercer, the TV series, and I was hooked. I watched the first season, but in the middle of the second "life" interrupted, and I didn't finish. Hurray for the 3rd season, which came out last week. Hubs and I binge-watched the 2nd season to catch up.

Fascinating program.

The premise is that seven years ago, Earth became a frozen wasteland, brought about by efforts to reverse global warming. Boy, did the scientists get that wrong! In preparation, a brilliant (but eccentric) billionaire designed and built a perpetual motion train to house humanity. The train (1,001 cars long) travels around the world 2.7 times a year. The series focuses on the passengers--from the very rich, at the front of the train, to the dregs of humanity at the rear.

In this tight environment, you have the setup for class warfare, injustice, crime and punishment, and conniving politics while everyone tries to survive.

One of the things I didn't catch (or it wasn't explained) is who built the tracks the train travels on. Was it the billionaire? How did the tracks cross over large expanses of water (like the oceans)? Another question is how were the people chosen to get on the train? Did the rich buy their way in? How did you get a ticket? There are scenes of masses of people trying to get on the train before it left the station. What happened to them? Did they just freeze to death?

I've never written a dystopian thriller. Never really wanted to. I prefer happy-ever-after or happy-for-now stories. (Just call me Pollyanna.) The horrible things people do to each other when civilization breaks down upsets me. I cringed while watching movies like The Book of Eli or Blade Runner

Yet some post-apocolyptic stories are thrilling and full of hope, for example The Hunger Games, Divergent, the Terminator series, and The Matrix. As I watch Snowpiercer, I hope the revolutionaries will take back the train and form a democracy. (See, there's the Pollyanna coming out.) 

If you plan to write this type of story, you would do well to watch dystopian movies (better yet, read the books) and check out common themes. 

How many different ways will Earth be destroyed? How will humanity survive? What would you do to survive? 


8 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh, I'm the opposite. I watched the movie back in 2017, because the music video to one of my favorite songs was influenced by Snowpiercer and Ursula K. Le Guin's "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas." I needed to see/read them for myself. But, I can't get into the series. Not sure why.

I do love reading and watching dystopian and monster thrillers, but I'll leave the writing them to someone else. I always find other people's interpretation of what might happen to the world fascinating.

Diane Burton said...

I'm going to have to watch the movie, if only to see the differences. I find it interesting how different writers depict the end of the world and what happens to humanity.

Nancy Gideon said...

I haven't dipped into the genre for a long while for reading pleasure but LOVE the movies. Haven't gotten to Snowpiercer yet but it just jumped on my list. BIG Sean Bean fan. Thanks for the reminder as my binge list is getting light. Can always count on you to bring me up-to-date in the sci/fi-ish realm. Just noticed Daveed Diggs (Hamilton!) was on it. Big plus!

Maureen said...

I've seen the commercials for the show, but have never seen it. The show does look interesting.

Nightingale said...

I watch TV very rarely, so have not seen Snowpiercer. I might have to give it a try.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never seen the show but I did watch the movie. I think the rich bought their way on and the poor stole aboard as it was leaving. With the world frozen, I'm not sure it matters if people have money. You can't buy anything on the train.

Diane Burton said...

Nancy, I think you'll like this. The characters are interesting.

Maureen, I hope you check it out.

Linda, Can't hurt to give it a try.

Good point, Diane. It seems they do a lot of bartering. I found the class distinction disturbing. The rich have all the heat and food. The farther back on the train the worse the conditions get. The "tailies" (those at the back of the train) overwhelmed the guards and stole aboard, as you said.

Medhat Fahmy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.