Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss! by Diane Burton


 

I've been complaining that this year is flying by, and here I am jumping the gun. Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss's birthday, not today. But what the heck! I like to spread out birthdays and celebrate all month, sometimes.

Who hasn't read a Dr. Seuss book? My grandkids like to read along with me. At first, the rhymes are memorized. Eventually, they actually read along. I love the memes on Facebook about reading aloud to children. It's my favorite thing to do. The child(ren) snuggle in and listen intently. If I've read the story many times before and stop reading, s/he fills in the words. Or says "Don't stop."

Reading to my grandkids is as much a joy for me as it is for them. I want them to experience the magic of reading. Books open new worlds.


 Books take you to faraway lands or those close by. And not just to places but times. We can go back to times past or ahead to the future. We can travel on horseback or in spaceships.

Children who are read to are most likely to want to learn to read themselves. (They complain we read too slow.) Children who read find other school subjects easier. 


Stories like One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish help children learn their numbers and number concepts plus colors. It makes learning fun. And isn't that what reading should be?

What about kids who get other kids into trouble? What kid (and adult) had had that experience? Good discussion openers. What would you do if...


In our house while I was growing up, I was always the reader. The others, not so much. One of my sisters found reading difficult. She doesn't "see" the scene play out unless she hears it. Audio books are so much better for her. My other sister reads a lot. Much of her reading is self-improvement or on the religious side. 

No matter what we read, our lives will always be enriched by books.



Tomorrow, raise your glass (or mug) to Theodor Seuss Geisel and wish him a happy birthday!

What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book?


 




15 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

My favorite memories of my mom involve books: reading to me at bedtime, taking us to the bookmobile every other Tuesday, never saying no if it involved something to read. She was adament about getting an education and the doorway was in the library. I had more library cards than credit cards when I lived out on my own! If she hadn't fostered that love, I probably wouldn't be a writer. But she hated Dr. Seuss - all those nonsensical words - so of course his books were the ones I wanted her to read to me. So I'm raising my glass (or coffee cup) to the good Doctor and to my mom for making reading fun . . . and a necessity.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh, I remember my mom reading to us when we were kids. And I did the same with my kids, even when they were still in my belly. Never read much Dr. Seuss. Not sure why. Because I'm Canadian, we read A LOT of Robert Munch. Read those books in English and French. And my kids loved Eric Carle books as well. Now, we all read on our own. But yes, let's celebrate Dr. Seuss for being one of many authors who helped children learn to read and to love it!

Tena Stetler said...

Loved Dr. Seuss! My favorite is Green Eggs and Ham. My mother had all the books and read them to me every night as a child. When I learned to read them myself, I always had one tucked under my pillow. So fun. What a fun post Diane, brought fond memories flooding back. My mom once added green food coloring to our eggs. Fond memories!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks for sharing those memories, Nancy. The day the bookmobile came to our rural school was the happiest day. The librarian introduced me to so many wonderful books. I love the nonsensical words Dr. Seuss used. My grandsons giggle over them.

Diane Burton said...

I love Eric Carle, too, Jess. When my youngest granddaughter was born, my friend knitted a caterpillar (same colors as in the book) for her and gave her the Very Hungry Caterpillar. I don't know Robert Munch. I'll have to check out his books. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Maureen said...

My favorite book is a play off the 'oh the places you'll go' called 'oh baby the places you go'. I've bought it as a baby shower gift several times for friends. It is so cute.

Diane Burton said...

Oh, Tena. What great memories. I never put green food coloring in eggs, but my kids fought over whose book Green Eggs & Ham was. I bought a second one. LOL

Diane Burton said...

Thanks for sharing, Maureen. I don't know that book. I'll have to check it out.

L. A. Kelley said...

I loved lots of his books but hated The Cat in the Hat. The kids let a stranger in! Are they nuts?! The cat ruined the house! Mom's coming home! The kids will be in so much trouble! Even with a happy ending, it made my stomach ache. What if the cat comes back? (It actually did in a sequel.) Nope. Too stressful.

Diane Burton said...

Yeah, I'm not real fond of Cat in the Hat for the same reasons. Kids get into enough problems on their own. They don't need an instigator like the Cat.

Rajani Rehana said...

Lovely blog

Nightingale said...

I've never liked Dr. Seuss. I find him creepy, so mu boys were raused nubys Dr. Seuss.

Diane Burton said...

It's great we have so many options. It's the reading out loud to our children that's important, not what we read.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I really need to read more often to my young one--I was very active with the rest when they were young. Thank you for the reminder!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. we all need reminders. :)