Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Using Trope Graphics to Find Your Readers

 


Hello! It's been an eventful month in my household. My oldest child moved away to go to college, and my youngest is now back to school for in-person learning after two years of online learning at home. My spouse was on holidays, and completed a lot of small projects around the house. Plus, I've been getting ready for a book release!

But, today's post is not really about any of that. Today, I want to talk about those graphics I'm sure many of you have seen across social media. Especially lately. You know, the ones with the book cover in the middle with book tropes listed all around it, along with other information about what happens in the story.


Last week on social media, someone called trope graphics "cringe," and couldn't believe authors would use tropes and fiction tags to promote a book. I think they are exactly the opposite. They help readers to find books they might like to read quickly. Before, authors had to entice the reader simply by having an appealing book cover. Authors hoped their covers enticed readers enough to read the blurb and then buy the book. But with a few words, authors have a chance to draw in more readers than with only a cover.


Trope graphics usually contain the following:
  • the book cover (this is most important)
  • all the tropes the book falls under (second chance romance, mistaken identity, friends to lovers, only one bed, etc.)
  • other information that might tease or entice readers, whether about the characters, the setting, or the plot
  • arrows pointing from the information to the book
Trope graphics may also include the name and title of the book if that is not clear enough on the cover. Most trope graphics contain 5 to 8 pieces of information about the book. Plus, you can use the background to set the mood or reveal the setting of the book.

I make my trope graphics using Canva

  1. I start with a blank Instagram post. They are square, and I find they generally look best to use on all social media.
  2. I go to Elements then Frames to find a tablet or phone-shaped frame. Then I center it in the graphic. Canva will show you where the center is if you drag it around with your mouse.
  3. I upload my cover then drag and drop it into the tablet frame.
  4. I add the boxes of text/information that I want to share in the graphic.
  5. In elements, I look up arrows and then use a variety of them to point the text to the cover. You can easily flip, rotate, shrink, angle, and even change the color of the arrows.
  6. Then I search the backgrounds (click) and the elements (drag and drop) to find a picture that works for the background image. Often I have to edit the image (brightness, tint, shadows, transparency, etc.) so that the text is readable and stands out. 
  7. When I'm satisfied, I download it as a PNG file and share it on social media with other information and buy links for the book.
  8. Instead of starting all over for each book, you can duplicate the page and then replace the cover image, the text copy, and the background.
While I don't have one made for every one of my titles, I do have them made for my upcoming release, RET (releases September 12), and the other books in the Kaddim Brothers series.




After the comment was made last week, I saw a lot of authors also making graphics to also share a little about themselves with readers. So, I made one, too. Have a great September!





9 comments:

Marilyn Barr said...

I love posting these on Twitter. I wish they would replace blurbs!

Maureen said...

I have started to see these trope graphics and made one so far. I agree that it could help a reader know what kind of story it is quickly. I have not seen the author ones, lol. That's too cute! Best wishes for your release!

Tricia Schneider said...

I love these! Thank you for sharing how you create them!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Marilyn ~ They are fun! And they do reveal a lot about the book that many blurbs don't.

Maureen ~ Thank you so much!

Tricia ~ You're welcome! Have fun with them!

Diane Burton said...

Fascinating. I love your instructions. Thanks so much. Congrats on your oldest going off to college. Big step. Best wishes on your new release.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Diane ~ Happy to help! And thank you so much!

Thank you!

Nancy Gideon said...

This is really awesome! I was looking for a way to showcase the heroes in my shapeshifter series and this is perfect. Something to play with while I'm off at my writers weekend. Thanks for sharing the info Jessica!!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Nancy ~ Oh yes! This kind of graphic will definitely work for that! Have fun!!