Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Computers Are Great Except When They Aren’t by Tena Stetler


As I was sitting in my writing cave wondering what to write about this month, my eight-year-old desktop computer started getting glitchy, and refused commands, then refused to update files.  Until that time, I was very fond of my old, slow computer.  Final straw.  A while back, I purchased a new computer. But I never got around to transferring data from old to new, due to COVID, then COVID recovery, then I came down with a respiratory virus, as if that wasn’t enough, my left hip total replacement could not be put off any longer (surgery was October 5, 2022).  I wrote and managed promos through all the health problems, but after that couldn’t keep enough brain cells gathered to transfer data from one to the other and make sure I got everything I needed on the new computer. <sigh> Insufficient memory.


Now, I have no choice. Although, after a good talking to and shut down, the older computer is being more cooperative (the one with the little multi-colord heart).  I’ve just finished transferring a large amount of graphics and files, to the new one (the one with the purple & blue lights) only to discover I’m missing several documents. So, I’ll have to transition back to my old computer, copy the files and transfer them. Provided the new computer accepts the transfer.  Already ran into that problem once. I deleted the One Drive program and everything seems fine now. Only time will tell. One person asked why I didn’t just clone my old computer and transfer data to my new one.  Old computer is too old, I’m told.  However, I am writing this article on my new computer, hopefully, everything will be fine.  Any errors you find, I’ll blame on the new computer’s learning curve.  LOL

Back in my comfort zone, a more exciting note, March 20th, the first day of Spring, SECURITY FORCE OF TWO releases. I can’t wait! It’s a bit different than I usually write, more cozy mystery than romance though there is some romance, still paranormal of course!

I’ll give you a little taste of what SECURITY FORCE OF TWO is all about. 

Miacoh Zane, a Special Forces veteran, returns to Aspen Ridge, Colorado a small town nestled in the Rocky Mountains, to settle his beloved grandmother’s estate. But the town holds painful memories and family secrets he wants to leave behind for good.

 

Candle Bearclaw, a gifted computer analyst/programmer with talents she’s buried when recruited out of college by the CIA. After fifteen years, she abruptly resigns her position with the agency. She returns to her sleepy hometown only to discover her childhood crush has also returned and a violent crime has been committed.

 Due to their covert operations experience, Candle and Miacoh are thrown together to assist Homeland Security, the FBI, and her father, former chief of police, with a murder investigation. As they search for the perpetrators, will their secrets be revealed as the investigation takes an unusual twist that could blow the case wide open?

 I hope you’ll consider reserving a copy of Security Force of Two.   

Until next month, stay safe and enjoy life. Remember, computers may not be our friends. so don’t let 'em take over the world.  LOL

 


13 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

My computers (desktop and laptop) hold me hostage. I have few computer skills (from the age of manual typewriters!) but have been forced to learn waaaay more than I'm comfortable with just to stay on top of things. My computer geek place closed during COVID so I feel abandoned in the techno world. Thank goodness for my virtual assistant who does my posting for me. I CAN do it, but it became a stress I'd started to avoid. I refuse to apologize.

Tena Stetler said...

I understand your pain. However, I learned to be tech savy and kinda enjoy it when I have the tine. But mostly I spend time arguing and fighting with my computers. I have discovered my new one has a lot of sass! LOL

D. V. STONE said...

Last year I went into an "infinite loop". Sounds sci fi right? Had to reformat my harddrive. Thank heaven for the cloud and ms 365. I didn't lose anything but several nights sleep waiting for everything to settle down. D.

Maureen said...

Good luck with the new computer! I dread when I have to change and move things over. I started trying to put more on google drive and/or dropbox to avoid that, but I'm not consistent enough. I tend to revert to my old ways, lol.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh, I understand that. I went through that last year, but my computer was only 2 years old. I rely on OneDrive for my computer and phone now to make sure I don't loose files. It saves everything automatically, which I'm thankful for. All the best with your upcoming release!

Tena Stetler said...

Thank you so much for stopping by Jessica, DV and Maureen! So far the computers are working together and transfers are going well. So we'll see....

Patricia Preston said...

I love your writing area!

Diane Burton said...

Wow. I can't believe so many of you had major computer problems. I thought it was just me. Last month, my laptop had a major problem which couldn't be fixed. Worse, my files (except my docs that were on One Drive. My wonderful neighbor who rescued me before was able to transfer my files onto an external hard drive so I could copy it to my new computer.

As you say, Tena, computers/technology is great until it doesn't work. Out of necessity, I've had to learn more tech knowledge than I thought I'd ever use. Boy, was I wrong. Still, I rely on the Geek Squad and my neighbor.

Best wishes on your newest release, Tena. It sounds like a terrific story.

Ellen Y Mueller said...

Oh, I'd love a screen that big. I'm always worried whenever my computer is on the blink. I'm always backing up everything, everytime I write.

Loretta C. Rogers said...

I enjoyed your article. I have a long-hate (well, mostly "hate") relationship with my new laptop. Things that are supposed to be saved in the Cloud have apparently been abducted by cyber aliens. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one.

Tena Stetler said...

Patricia, Ellen, Diane, and Loretta thanks so much for stopping by. And Loretta thanks for clearing up where things go when they don't wind up in the cloud. LOL Love it abducted by cyber aliens.
The rest of you make me feel to much better, that I am not alone. Have a great rest of your week!

Nightingale said...

Today, I read your article and below my new printer arrived. A friend and I felt we could install it as a Wi-Fi printer. An hour and frayed tempers we were pm the phone with HP. I like your little saying about not taking over the world!

Anonymous said...

With my computers, I’ve learned it’s not a matter of if but when something happens. I save save save anything important on flash drives and even email Word documents to myself (like completed mss.) You just can’t trust them. Computers that is.