Thursday, November 30, 2023

The End of the Year by Diane Burton


 

December is starting out with snow. Wait, can you believe we’re nearing the end of another year? How did December sneak up on us? In December 2020, I was so glad to welcome a new year. It had to be better than the year we were leaving. So how do I feel about 2023?

Do you look back at the year in December? Do your good memories outweigh the difficult ones? Subconsciously I guess I do. Usually I’m too busy to think about it. Too busy? Doing what? I’m retired. It’s amazing how time goes by without much being done. Including writing. I can say I’ve been filling the creative well by reading and binge watching television. 


As this year ends, I think about what I’ve accomplished. Writing isn’t an accomplishment this year. Neither was selling my books at craft shows. Not because I didn’t want to. Hubs didn’t do well this year. Too many falls, followed by hospital stays and rehab. Leaving him alone wasn’t a good idea. My oldest brother passed away last spring. A real shock. In October, I hit one of those “milestone” years. Can I consider that an accomplishment? I killed another computer. 

On the positive side, my family is doing well. They’ve been so supportive, encouraging me to get back to the writing. My twin grandsons started kindergarten and, boy, do they love school. Hope that continues. My oldest granddaughter is looking at colleges. All of the kids are avid readers. Taking after their parents (and grandmother). They all enjoy good health. What more can I ask for? As for Hubs, he’s in a great assisted living place where he’s getting more help than I can give him. It’s been an adjustment for both of us. But a good one.

So, 2023 is ending on a high note note. I’m looking forward to the new year. How about you?



7 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

(((HUGS))) on all the life changes. Change isn't easy even in low decade years so getting to our level, it's a real drama. One we overcome. Too bad isolation has become such a "normal" part of our lives that we don't even think to reach out anymore. That's why I cling so tenaciously to my blogs to throw my thoughts and dreams out there into the world. Always look forward to yours.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Nancy. Hugs are so welcome. Just when you think there’s no more changes Life laughs and throws you for a loop.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh Diane, all those changes have to be tough! But, I'm glad you found help for your husband and that the rest of your family is doing well! Always good to end the year on a high note! And I hope 2024 is a much better year for you!

Keri Kruspe said...

I'm right there with you, Diane. 2024 is going to be a banner year for me, I turn 65 this April and an anxious to turn in my notice at work. Working full time sure gets in the way of other things more important. Plus, people are awfully cranky nowadays. I've worked with the public since 1976 and have never seen the rudeness and disregard for civility like I do now.

But, just along with what you said about your hubs (can I share a hug like Nancy???), mine is starting to develop some health issues he's finally agreed to see a doctor about. Fingers crossed he'll learn to cut back a little this next year and we can start doing things together.

So, heads up! No change means your either unconscious or dead. Since I'm neither, I'm going to embrace the upcoming chaos that 2024 promises to bring!

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Jessica. Hope 2024 is great for you, too.

Diane Burton said...

Thank for the hug, Keri. Retirement has many benefits. Hope it works out well for you. Prayers for you and your husband. Enjoy the time you have together, especially to do all things you want to do. Love your attitude for 2024.