Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Books Are Magic by Diane Burton

 



This is the time of year when we think a lot about the paranormal. Considering all the "visitors" we had last night, we writers aren't the only ones whose thoughts drift to things "out of this world." Witches, ghosts, SuperHeroes, dragons, magicians.

Magicians?


Why not? Hogwarts produces many magicians. Magicians make me think of magic, which isn't totally out of this world. Books are magic.

Which made me think of a post I wrote almost ten years ago. What was true then is true today.

I can’t remember when I started reading. I do remember how books transported me into places I’d never visited or ever will visit. Books still do. Through the magic of books I can visit Rivendell, Hogwarts, Camp Half-Blood. I can go back in time to Regency England or travel on a starship to alien planets.

Until I read a blog post by Jeannie Ruesch on Writers Unboxed, I’d forgotten that not only reading but writing is magic, too. In her post, Ms. Ruesch quotes from Stephen King’s On Writing: “Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art.”


Writing is magic. Characters pop into our heads, some fully formed, others only give us sneak peeks until we write their story. Sometimes they hint at a major road block to any type of relationship. Others are blatant about it. Digging into their pasts, making them open up can be quite a challenge. Non-writers may question this. You’re the writer. You made up those characters. Why don’t you know what they’re thinking? As many writers have discovered, characters don’t always behave the way we expect them to. They take on a life of their own and force us to listen to them. Secondary characters demand their own story. Villains insist they have good reasons for what they do. That’s magic.


While writing, we can enjoy a sunny Caribbean beach while it’s twenty below outside or a mountain retreat when everyone around us suffers through ninety degrees with ninety-nine percent humidity. The best time of year and location for our stories seem to flow from the story itself. While we are writing, we shut out the here-and-now and are transported to that place and time. It’s magic.

The spark that leads to a story can hit us in the middle of the night, while driving, or doing laundry. A first scene. An opening sentence. They seem to come out of nowhere. We have no idea why. In the middle of writing the current book, especially when we’re stalled, a strange character will pop up, saying "I’m more fun, write my story." I used to call that my Muse talking to me. Now I think it’s magic.

Writing is a job. Like most jobs, we start out all bright-eyed, full of enthusiasm. After a while, the job can become onerous. The crunch of deadlines. Hours spent in promotion when we’d rather be writing. Great ideas fizzle out. Stress from outside sources undermines our creativity. Throw in other roadblocks and we forget what we knew in the beginning. Writing really is magic.

I’m too much a wuss to read Stephen King’s fiction, but On Writing is fabulous, a must-have for any writer, and an interesting read for non-writers. I’m especially glad I read On Writing.  Thanks, Mr. King for reminding me that Writing is magic."

 

5 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

I agree, Diane! It's amazing the places writers can take us with their stories, but also where we get go go with our own! I've always created different worlds and stories in my head, and it's nice to have an outlet for them so I can share them with others. Happy November!

Diane Burton said...

An outlet for places in our heads. I like that. It's so true.

Lucy K. said...

Love this post, Diane, and love the magic in creating stories and in reading those created by others. I need to reread Stephen King's book. I've also never read his fiction, but On Writing should be required reading for all writers.

Diane Burton said...

Lucy, I agree On Writing should be required reading.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Diane! I couldn’t agree more writing is magic, the path to any adventure in your heart and mind. Thanks for sharing!

Tena stetler