Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Unfinished ~ Why I have stories no one will ever see

 


UNFINISHED
Why I have stories no one will ever see
by Author Jessica E. Subject

Recently, there was a trend in Author Instagram where authors shared all the stories they had started and what happened to them. This included both published and unpublished stories. I posted with this trend, though I divided my posts into those stories which have been published, and those which haven't.

While I've seen many authors sharing their excitement over the story their currently writing, the story that's out on submission, the story that's available for pre-order, and the story that just released, I don't see posts about the stories they've abandoned. So, this trend was a first for me to see that.

As an author, I can think of many reasons why those stories have been tossed to the side, some never to be looked at again. I won't speak for all authors, but I will share the reasons why I have abandoned some of my stories.


The Zurian Child, The Zurian Legacy, Faith ~ The first book in this series was published, and the second one was contracted to the same publisher. But when the publisher folded, these stories were left without a home. This was the first series I'd ever written. It was my baby, and I was so excited to finally have it published. At the same time that the beginning of this series was being published, I started working with another publisher for shorter stories. And the editors I worked with there taught me a lot. So, when I had these stories back to do with what I wanted, I realized they needed a lot of help. That's when I tossed them aside. But not forever. I ended up rewriting the first two stories completely, with some new characters, new settings, and new knowledge. They eventually became Bryce and Jager in my Galactic Defenders series.

The Other Brother, random YA Contemporary, Good Daughter ~ These three stories were plotted and started, but I lost interest when I started writing other stories for other projects.


Always on the Outside ~ This is a story I still want to write. I have a general plot, but I have to make time to write it. I always seem to have some other project come up when I go to write this one.

Jace ~ I always planned to give Jace his own story. It was supposed to be the fourth book in my Galactic Defenders series, but I didn't have a definite plot. But then Tayrym came along with a full plot, and I wrote his story instead. I hope to one-day give Jace his story.

Before the Tour Ends, Claiming His Love ~ These two stories will involve a lot of research into culture, and that can be daunting. With the help of sensitivity readers, I might be able to tell these stories properly, but I'm not sure yet.


Special Project ~ This is what I'm writing now, and my due date is fast approaching! More details to come!
2 Fans, 3 Secrets ~ These are the next two stories in my Romance Tales from the Quadrants that I will be writing. I'm busy plotting them, too!

I have some other short stories that I've shared in my newsletters, but I have no plans to share them in any other way. 

If you're looking for the many stories I do have published, be sure to check out my website, or my profile on Books2Read!










8 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I can identify with you and anyone who has stories that will never see the light of day or not for a while. LOL I have a bunch of both. Some were "learning exercises" and others never panned out. I'm not a plotter and it's easy for me to start a story that goes nowhere. That should be a lesson to me, but being a pantser is how I roll. I hope some of your babies can be salvaged. If not, I'm sure your Muse has plenty of ideas for you.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thanks, Diane! Yes, always plenty of ideas and not enough time to write them all! And everyone has a different way of writing, so stick to what works for you!

Nancy Gideon said...

Busy, busy, busy!! How wonderful . . . and exhausting. I need to do an accounting of what's in my in-hiatus file. It just might support me for a few years.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Nancy! They're great when you get stuck on a story but still want to work on something. Or when you're waiting for edits...

Keri Kruspe said...

Wow... you sure don't suffer from writers block! Way to go, Jessica!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thanks Keri! I wish I didn't suffer from writer's block, but I do. Though, more often, my mind wants to focus on a story other than the one I'm trying to write.

online tuition classes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steven Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.