Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Harry Potter and Twilight

Hey there all of you out there. How are you? I hope, that if you live in the United States, you had a good long weekend and if you live elsewhere that you had a good weekend in general.

I had the good fortune (Thank you DH for keep the kids so I could go) to go see Eclipse. I happen to be a fan of the Twilight series. I enjoyed them and I've been liking the movies. For the record, I think as far as movies go this was my favorite one so far, which is interesting because it was the least favorite of the books for me.

Now as I write this DH and I are watching Half-Blood Prince on television. If you don't know (because you've been living under a rock? LOL) that is the second to last Harry Potter book and the most recent movie to come out. My husband didn't like the first book and stopped reading them after the first one although he's enjoyed the movies so even though he doesn't know what's going to happen because he didn't read the books, he's getting the story through each subsequent film.

Seeing all these films in one week has gotten me thinking about the sheer level of dedication the fans have to these books. Some go so far as to insist they can't like one because they like the other. People are lining up based on the idea that they are Team Jacob v. Team Edward, although if you read the books you know that's never really an issue. And if it were I would be Team Jacob all the way. (What can I say? I like the wolves. LOL)

An entire theme park has been opened in Orlando based on the Harry Potter books.

Tell me this. Why do you think some books garner this much love from fans? Is it a YA thing or is something else?

Best to all of you!

Rebecca Royce

10 comments:

J Hali Steele said...

What a great question, Rebecca. All I heard was how horrible the Twilight books were written but I bought the first anyway--can't say if it was horrible, but didn't read past page 20! I do not like YA books which is okay because they're written for YA! DUH! Harry Potter--never read a single book nor have I seen any of the movies--the YA thing again, lol.

The Twilight movies: LOVE THEM! Go figure, huh? Can't wait to see the new one because everyone has said it's the best.

I think, just like adults, today's youth are struggling with many issues and they need to escape reality too sometimes and what better way than to read a good book! or watch a great movie.

Sandra Sookoo said...

Probably just a fad. I can't stand anything having to do with Twilight but I used to be a fan of Potter. I read through book 5. The other 2 are sitting on my shelf. Why? Fell out of love with the concept I guess. Maybe I've moved on and grown up, who knows LOL

Annie Nicholas said...

If I were a young adult I'd be hooked. The world building in HP boggles my mind and I have great respect for writers who can do this at that level. As for Twilight, I find Stephanie Meyers is very good at creating a gut wrenching emotional reaction with her words. I haven't seen the movies because the movie is never as good as my imagination. Edward and Jacob are so much hotter in my head, which is creepy because I'm old enough to be their big sister, well at least with Jacob. Oh never mind...

Samantha R. said...

I think that these books are inherently readable. Anyone can follow the Twilight series and for people who don't read, reading something that captures their attention is a rarity. The reason that I love Harry Potter so much is that I basically grew up with it! The first book came out when I was barely in the elementary school and the last one when I was in high school, so I grew up with the characters. Also, I think these kind of books change you, make you look at things you'd never seen before. And all teen fas tend to be fanatical, whether it's pop stars or books.

For the record, I'm Team Jacob too! :)

Stacey Kennedy said...

J.K. Rowling is one of my favorite authors - her creativity is brilliant. Every single HP book I read I'm left in awe. Her vivid imagination is incredible. Seriously, how in the heck did she come with that stuff???

As for Twilight - it was the very first paranormal romance I read and what introduced me into the genre. I LOVED the books - like read them each three times over loved them.

Now, can you compare Stephenie Meyer and J.K. Rowling - NO. But it doesn't make one better than the other. It's just different styles.

And obviously, Stephenie Meyer's knows how to tell a bomb love story!!

But - after I read the Twilight Saga I got into adult paranormal and I haven't looked back. I doubt I could pick up the twilight series now and enjoy it. I'd feel ripped off from the steamy stuff!

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten into the Twilight series yet and I find the films a bit boring really.

But I adore Harry Potter, so exciting and lots happening and the characters are really cool.

Valerie
in Germany

Sara Brookes said...

I think a lot of it has to do with being YA. Pre-teens and teens have a steady supply of money - their parents. And those parents willingly do what they can to ensure their kids happiness - sometimes blindly. While it's nice to see these kids reading, you have to wonder if the parents really know what their children are reading. I had major issues with the 4th book in the Twilight series and outright refuse to give it to my daughter (who was 11 when the 4th was released). When another mother questioned why I wouldn't let my daughter read that book (she'd let her daughter, the same age as my daughter, read it) I explained to her, in great detail, the book. She freaked out that her young daughter had read it. I'm a firm believer of supporting your kids reading habits but you should really know what they're reading. And there's my little vent for the week. LOL

Annie Nicholas said...

You said it, Sara. I think parents need to pay more attention to some of these stories and listen to actual messages being conveyed. Enough said, before I get in trouble with myself. LOL

Anonymous said...

I, too, agree with Sara. However, parents nowadays are too busy to vet everything their children read/want to read or watch/want to watch. I also thought "Breaking Dawn" was too much (was it anti-pregnancy or anti-childbirth? or both?) and ranted about it to my friends whose girls might want to read it (I review kids books for them so that they know what their kids are reading). Of course, being too busy is no excuse, but unless they hear otherwise, like from Sara, most parents are just encouraged that the kids are reading at all.

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

If you capture the hearts of and minds of fad-oriented tweens, you're book is going sell like hot potatoes. I think it's a YA thing. That, or PARANORMAL YA because that seems to be really "in" right now.

Broader audience + rabid tween following = diehard fan base, lol.