Friday, June 24, 2011

It's Friday

World Building can make or break the story. Spacing it out, and not info dumping, is what gets a reader’s interest, then the mix has to be right to keep them reading. For me, this is the hardest part of the story. I want to tell everything just as it’s rushing through my brain. I can’t do that! Often I worry, "Did I put too much in the beginning, or too little?" The knack is to get just the right amount of ‘story’ up front. I don’t know how others do it, but I generally start with a synopsis and build from there. I let the story unfold as quickly as it wants to from the minute I type the words: Chapter One. I know where I want the characters to start off – where they go is up to them! *smile*
For the first Chapter, I let it rip. Once I get it all out of my head, I go back to the beginning and delete most of it! Yeah, I know, sounds crazy, but it works for me. I keep what I cut away in another document because it’s all part of the world I’ve started to build – I just need to find the right points to place it after removing it. Have I thoroughly confused you? Does anyone even really need to know that? Probably not… so I’ll move on.
My new WIP is based on an old Armik song, For Annette, and for months it clamored around in my head until it exploded. For now, I’ll share the video that was my inspiration.


Along with inspiration of another kind that helps to write what I think they'd look like for real! Mount up...






Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

No comments: