Friday, January 18, 2013

The Fine Line of Promotion

Before I start my post today I want to preface this with the disclaimer that this is simply my opinion in regards to this topic, don't take it as rule.

Last week (I think) I sent out a long string of messages on Twitter/Facebook about promotion in regards to books. Mostly because no one has yet to convince me that posting streams and streams of promotional tweets and/or Facebook works in regards to sales. IMHO, it's actually off-putting and would seem as if an author would lose sales. And I'm looking at it from a reader's perspective because, let's face it, I don't write books solely because I love to write. My love of books started at a very young age and grows almost daily.

Social media is designed to be just that: social. It's supposed to be for social interaction. Not constantpimpingofmybooks media. The only thing that you have to talk about as an author can't be your books. Don't get me wrong, I understand privacy. I have certain things I absolutely refuse to talk about in a public forum (seriously, you really don't need to know my teenage daughter's name unless you know me personally). But I can still chat about daily things completely unrelated to writing without compromising my ideals on those things.

There is a fine line when it comes to promotion and its hard to tell sometimes what is too much or too little. I will, from time to time, tweet or post a Facebook message about a book release. Pretty much always on a release day, 'cause let's face it, its release day. But, really, I'm a firm believer that the best bit of promotion you can do for yourself is writing a good book. And then another good book. And another good book. And, wait for it...wait for it!...write another good book. Word of mouth is still one of the best promotional tools out there. And it's free free free. Yippee!

So, do you agree or disagree? What do you think is the most valuable tool in the promotional arsenal?


3 comments:

Misa Buckley said...

I agree with you entirely and loathe authors who just promote themselves on Twitter. Facebook is different, especially an author page, because that's what that is for (or at least, that's how I use it - as sort of an online newsletter)

But promo on Twitter should be sparse. And it should include bumping others' stuff - I am far more likely to engage with someone who's as much about helping others as themselves.

Sara Brookes said...

Even with that it becomes a fine line because if you're promoing your stuff, and promoing other people's stuff, does it all become just one long string of promotion? Don't get me wrong, I will gladly help other authors promote, especially when it's something I've read and liked (most especially then), but when is it too much?

Silke said...

I very rarely pimp my books on FB, because, like you, I find it extremely offputting.
I'm a reader. If every other message I see is a "Buy my book" message, I unsubscribe / unfriend you.
I have authors on my friends list. I'm on other author's friends lists.
But I very quickly get rid of those who do nothing but spam my page with "Buy me" links.
I'm very happy to do guest blogs, and usually even then I don't talk much about my books -- but other things. Things that may just interest someone and it goes from there. :)