Tuesday, June 24, 2014

For the Love of Vampires

This is part of a trio of posts where I talk about some of the best in bad boy heroes and villains. I chatted up werewolves and shapeshifters on the 6th of April. Check out that first post HERE


Vampires. Dark seduction. Deadly intent. Dangerous in every way. They are a fantasy unlike any other. To know them is to know death.

So what makes them so sexy in the Paranormal Genre? 

My lust began with Fright Night when I was a kiddo. Vampire Jerry, seriously, well, until he turned into the nasty vampire at the end. Then the Lost Boys. Of all the characters I fell in lust with, the one that resonated with me the most (from the 80s) was actually the vampire in Waxworks. You caught just a hint of Vampire nobility and deadly killer. 

After that, I began reading everything I could on vampires, but they were mostly really bad guys. Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire hit on my love of a tortured hero and combined it with the kind of seduction I seemed to crave with my paranormal reads. I inhaled all the Vampire Chronicles, but couldn't find other books at the time that filled that void. 

Enter my RPG days. Vampire the Masquerade was a role playing game that was very popular in the 90's. I played along with several of my vampire-loving friends. Kindred the Embraced came on (loved that show). My first short stories were Vampire-based (and typed in a common Gothic format, 10 points if you can remember the name of it ;) ). I still have them. Oh man, they were terrible and completely awesome at the same time (ahhh teenage angst!). 

My love of vampire fiction hasn't stopped. Lynn Viehl's Darkyn, D.B Reynolds with Vampires in America, Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vamps, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, Madeline Pryce's Dark series, and so many more. Of course I loved Maggie Shayne, Charlaine Harris, Christine Freehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon and P.C. and Kristin Cast. There are so many I'm missing. 

But it wasn't just romance or romance elements. I loved the Dhampir, as well. The half vampire, half living human. Vampire Hunter D, Barb and J.C. Hendee's Noble Dead, Blade (comics and the movies), and so many more.  

TV Shows and movies that I obsessed over: Underworld, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the series and the movie, I know I'm rare LOL), Angel, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Innocent Blood, (Of course there are many non-sexy vampire movies that I adore: From Dusk Til Dawn...I've watched all of them, btw, John Carpenter's Vampires, 30 Days of Night, Let the Right One In...Let Me In is the remake and awesome, and there are so many others.  

So tell me and the ladies of Paranormal Romantics...what is about the vampire you love? 


No comments: