Thursday, June 5, 2014

Magical Plants

Midsummer’s Eve - I didn’t know much about this until talk came up regarding the subject for the Paranormal Romantic’s blog. Looking around I found some people believe lighting big bonfires protected against evil spirits, witches, and other powerful beings who roamed about on the night of celebration. There is also the belief that golden-flowered summer plants like St. John’s Wort and Calendula have powers to heal. Calendula (Marigold) was used in rituals as well as being used for crowns and garlands by some ancient cultures.
We’ve all heard about the wonderful benefits of garlic if you can get past the smell of it. I love it, use it in everything but my cereal. Hmm, it can also be used to thwart vampires. Wonder if they’re in the group of powerful beings who gathered on Midsummer’s Eve? I can’t forget Rosemary, Sage and Thyme – each possessing antiseptic (used as throat gargle), antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Rosemary oil has been used as an insect repellent! I think I’m going to grow some Rosemary, it has lots of folklore tied to it such as sewing into dolls to attract a lover, and it was thought to repel witches, so this one is a definite to have on hand during Midsummer’s Eve! 
Now, I still don’t know much about Midsummer’s Eve, so I’m leaving it to those more knowledgeable and I’m looking forward to reading the blog for the rest of the month to see what it’s all about.
However, I did gain interest in the healing plants bit. I remember growing up folks touted tobacco for bee stings and aloe for burns. Other helpful plants include parsley as a breath freshner, poultice, and – insect bites! There’s the use of tea leaves, lemon balm, and mint. Then there is my all time fave: Chili peppers! Who knew capsaicin worked to treat neuralgia or arthritis, I only knew they tasted great and added wonderful flavor to various dishes!
Anyone who has visited our blog regularly knows I love to post pics (worth a thousand words), and no, I don’t take them myself because I’m not good at it. In fact, the last picture I personally took was sometime the end of last summer when I needed one of a little kitty to help find her a forever home, therefore, taking a pic once a year doesn’t qualify me in any way to take one and dare post it anyplace! *Laughing*
I’ve gotten off subject. Looking at medicinal plant info, I went in search of something to maybe grow in my garden and found I’ve planted St. John’s Wort in the past and that I love Marigolds (Calendula officinalis). Wow! And now there will be some Rosemary in a little pot. Thinking about this small piece for Midsummer’s Eve, which I didn’t learn enough about, I found plants I’ve always loved, some I plan to become acquainted with, and a few beautiful pics to post of some thought to be magical as well as beautiful.

It’s June, it’s finally hot, so, here’s a wish for a Happy Summer everyone!


J Hali Steele
Growl and roar-it’s okay to let the beast out.-J. Hali Steele

4 comments:

Maureen said...

What an informative post, thank you! I'm safe from vampires- because I, too, am a garlic lover.

J Hali Steele said...

Thanks, Maureen, glad you found it informative. I spent another hour sifting through plant info -- wish I had space at my tiny abode to plant more of the beautiful and magical plants I read about!

Unknown said...

You've inspired me with the beautiful photos. Next month I'll continue your plant theme with magical poisonous plants, and how they've been used in literature. What fun!

J Hali Steele said...

Oooh! The poisonous side - sounds interesting, can't wait!