Thursday, April 4, 2019

April Showers Bring Stories With Flowers

Not the flowers I saw today-
My sister is a great gardener
and takes great photos
I don't mind the winter like I used to. 
I've found some benefits to hibernating. Although I do often miss the sunshine and getting outside to walk and enjoy the beauty of nature. I suppose I'm especially impressed since I can't keep most plants alive.

If you've read any of my stories, you know many are set in the beautiful woods that surround where I live. Walking and bicycling through the areas crafted by nature helps to inspire my stories. 

Spring keeps trying to rear its head here in Pennsylvania, while Mother Nature teases us with a nice day, then another allowing the snow to return. 

Although I brag about my 'black thumb' that doesn't do well with any flowers, I really love to see them starting to push through the frozen earth with such determination to crane toward the sun. (unfortunately many will be disappointed if they arrive early, since the sun may be nowhere to be found.)

I usually don't know what their names are (I have to ask my Mom that), but I love to look at them. There's just something about that splash of color. 
Another one of my sister's pictures

As I walked today and saw more buds straining toward the sun, I was reminded of a flash fiction story I wrote years ago that I thought I'd share today.


The Sun's Kiss

Tanner wobbled forward. The prize lay ahead, swaying in the breeze, leafy arms reaching skyward. Bowls of color dancing like balloons tethered to green strings. Red as a juicy apple. Yellow as a ripe banana.
Plopping unceremoniously into the sea of color, Tanner caused multiple winged yellow and black diners to flee.  
Reaching out, Tanner stroked a soft shell. Pulling one off, he shoved the petal into his mouth.
“Tanner!” His mama squatted down.  Do you like my tulips?” 
Tanner frowned; his tongue already pushing the offender out. It didn’t taste as good as it looked.
His mama laughed. “Not for eating,” she inhaled deeply, “for smelling.” She offered the flower.
He recoiled until he detected the sweet scent, like his mama’s perfume.  
He sniffed, tickling his nose with the center, where he’d seen the bees eating.
Tanner tilted his face up and smiled, accepting the sun’s kiss.   



Do you Have a Favorite Flower? 



Author Bio: Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. Find Maureen on her websiteFacebookTwitter

Be the first to know about Maureen’s book sales and new releases by following her on BookBubAmazon and/or signing up for her newsletter

4 comments:

Nightingale said...

A sweet story and full of sensory images.

Diane Burton said...

Ditto what Linda said. I love flowers. My fav is the iris. I have many different colors, all from my mother's garden. Tulips and daffodils are just pushing shoots out of the ground. Such a hard winter. Your sister's photos are great.

Maureen said...

Thanks ladies! I appreciate you stopping by. I love colorful flowers.

Nancy Gideon said...

Same here in Michigan. Spring flowers are my favorites, those bold and bright splashes of color pushing through the snow and last year's debris. I always feel like that bear emerging after hibernation, shedding my winter coat and breathing deep of the warm months to come. Ahhhhh!