Sunday, October 20, 2019

Halloween Decorating Obsession

So, after maxing out the way I decorate for Christmas, I've moved on to my other favorite holiday, Halloween. I'm a paranormal romance author, y'all. Are you really that surprised?

I LOVE the colors, and the themes, and the funny signs, and all the different things you can do to decorate for Halloween. I don't tend to go for spooky. More colorful. But I thought I'd share some of my best Halloween interior decorating tips.

Biggest Bang for the Buck
Glittery cheap boas from grocery stores. I have ones with pumpkins, one with ghosts, and one with witches. They take up a space so nicely. You can see parts of this one behind other decorations on the mantle. They're also good for long tables, entertainment hutches, and wrapping around banisters.



Wall Signs
The biggest impact to holiday decorations I've found (for every holiday) are wall signs. Something about taking down the usual stuff to put up something seasonal and unique really stands out.





Combine Smaller Items on a Larger Item
I love to put some of my smaller items together on a runner or tablecloth.



Trees Aren't Just for Christmas
Hey, they were pagan for the jolly holiday to begin with. I find that a Halloween version adds some sparkle. Thinking of doing a life sized kind.




Table Clothes Are My Jam
Tablecloths decorate a very large/long space quickly and easily. I love this tablecloth (and finding fun ones for each holiday actually. I also loved finding the pieces to make the centerpiece!




Things That Light Up
A must at Halloween. After all, the actual celebration is held in the dark.



What about you? Are you a Halloween decorating nut like me? What are some of your favorite holiday decorating tricks?



4 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I have Halloween/Fall/Thanksgiving decorations that I haul out infrequently--only if the grandkids are coming over. Then I engage them in the decorating, which they enjoy. Usually, I send them home with an item. I go more out for Christmas than Halloween. Still, it's fun to see the kids' eyes when they see the decorations.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I decorate a lot for Christmas, but not so much for Halloween. Though now that I have a little granddaughter, the two of us get into it a little. She loves pumpkins.

Nancy Gideon said...

I do all the seasonal decoration but go ALL out for Halloween and Christmas. I love my Christmas village so I decided to to the same for Halloween turning my big wooden dry sink into a horror-ible village of frights and lights with ghoulishly fun animated pieces I add to every year. We also bought one of those BIG draping scary pumpkin faces with long gauzy robes and posable hands that hangs and from several ceiling hooks in our dining/hallway. That one always alarms the pets when we put it up. This year, we adding an outdoor cemetery to my sisters dying flower bed in the front yard. Yay, we DO Halloween! It helps that my son works at the Spirit Halloween store and gets a good discount!

Maureen said...

Love the decorations! I think I have the same little Halloween tree, lol. We do it up with decorations as well, but can't compete with our neighbors who really plaster the yard.