Friday, October 25, 2019

TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS by Nancy Gideon


Retirement. The Golden Years. That carrot dangling just out of reach as you trudge your way through decades of 9-to-5 employment dreaming of what you’ll do when that promised day arrives.

Surprise! For me it came years ahead of schedule when I realized I just couldn’t keep up the pace anymore. The stress, the pressure, the layer upon layer of frantic multitasking trying to make the impossible possible by 5:00. Retirement . . . take me away!

I was skeptical. I didn’t have the $250K nest egg tucked into an IRA with a pension on the side to feather the loss of weekly income. I was 6 months shy of Medicare. But, what the heck, might as well do the research . . . just in case. After 53 minutes on hold just to get an SSA operator to be told I couldn’t make an appointment unless filing at that moment, I showed up at their office, got in faster than I ever did at a doctor’s or DMV office, and after twenty minutes with Shane and sheets of promising figures in my hand, I headed home trying to digest the fact that . . . it could work! Even without putting in the allotted hours per year of additional income, I could effectively retire as of November 1! Breath held, I went on-line, filled in the form and bam – application filed.

While I wait for that final okeedokee and dollar amount, I’ve been trying to piece together how I’ll spend my “leisure” time (this, including a household to run with ‘adult’ family and animals expecting to be fed). But dreams of sitting at the keyboard for hours on end cranking out those pages the way I did while my kids were in school and I was a child of 30-40-some years myself, didn’t materialize the way I anticipated. Every day was a trip to the store, the mall, a restaurant, the couch to watch network TV or binge watch series I never had the time to enjoy on my computer. Starting my 3rd week of “ME” time, I realized it wasn’t much different than “9-to-5” time if I didn’t use it wisely. Time to put my OCD to the task of regimenting all those flittered away hours. Here’s what I came up with:

  • Sleep in until 6:00 am (OMG, what a sloth after half my life getting up at 4:30!). Then get dressed. No scuffling around in pjs all day.
  • Coffee and breakfast over social media until the caffeine wrestles my ADD into submission.
  • Write! Right now! At least until the household wakes up. That’s 3-4 HOURS of uninterrupted time! The Motherlode! This WIP I’ve been slogging through for a YEAR is mine now.
  • Get the heck out of the house! It’s too easy to sink into couch cushions and let Netflix take me away. So, I joined Planet Fitness – just me, for me! Open 24 hours 7 days a week and 3 of those are going to be mine. Had my orientation and tanning session (No lectures, I’m going to New Orleans next month with tanned, toned calves!) and can’t wait to try out more classes or just groove to tunes while I do the machines amongst half the city’s seniors (and some tasty eye candy).
  • Put away the chip feedbag and baggie those portable raw vegetables! Get back onto a meal plan so endless grazing doesn’t lead back to the couch pasture.
  • Hang with friends! Writer friends, the best kind! Now I can do those midweek NaNothingees, can attend events in the evening becuz . . . I don’t have to get up at 4:30 a.m.!

Retirement, I finally realized, isn’t lying around doing mindless nothings. It’s doing those things you never could find time to do while working full time. Things like . . . Reading – during the day! Taking a circuit training class. Dragging the dog (and the sister) out for a walk. Going to cheap flicks while it’s still daylight! Scheduling appointments for the car or the self at a decent hour without having to rush anywhere afterwards. Going on a lengthy vacay to another country without worrying if I had the time accumulated! And, if I decide to work, I can do it on my schedule, part time, not prime time.


I think I’m going to like this retirement gig. I’ll keep you posted. Any of you have secrets to retirement success to share?

Now, back to Chapter 21 . . .
♚♚♚♚♚
Nancy Gideon on the Web


6 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

I retired from full time work in 2005, and couldn't wait to have all this extra time to write. Unfortunately, it also meant I had more time for all those other hobbies I didn't have time for while I was teaching all day and grading papers at night. Some people tell me I'm busier now than I was back then! But as disciplined as you are, I know you'll be cranking out even more great stories for us to read. Go for it!

Diane Burton said...

Congratulations, Nancy, on making the decision to retire and then doing it. Think of the money you're saving on gas. When I retired, gas was $4+ gallon. Not driving a 65-mile round trip each day meant a big savings. No more "office" clothes. Another savings. Sounds like you've found a good routine. I knew you would. With the burden of an unsatisfactory job lifted, I'll bet your writing is flowing now. You got this, girl! Don't forget to factor in some grandson time. As you've noticed, they don't stay little. lol Make those memories. Can't wait to read your upcoming book.

Diana Stout said...

Welcome to the club!!! Love the post. Congratulations on your new life!

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your retirement!

Teresa Cypher said...

I am so happy for you!! Congrats! :-)

Nancy Gideon said...

Thanks! So far, loving it!!