Sunday, May 23, 2021

A Woman From Mercury

 


My first foray into fiction was a short piece of magical realism called Women are From Mercury. I had no idea what the story was going to be, but the moment I started writing, it flowed out as though already written in my head. The main character, Patience, is literally given away in marriage by her father to a man she doesn't love.

There is an undercurrent of magic in this story that simmers just below the surface. Patience harbors something within her that burns for freedom. Is it magic, anger, or force of will that brings on her fevers? I liked the idea that in my setting, a time when women had few choices in their lives, my character is an inferno-in-waiting. Her abusive husband doesn’t know who he is dealing with. Certainly, not a love goddess from Venus!

The story was picked up right away by the literary journal, Across the Margin, and went on to be named one their best stories of the year. You can read it here: https://acrossthemargin.com/women-are-from-mercury/

Encouraged by this first story, I wrote a couple dozen more short stories that have been published here and there. Some have magical realism, or paranormal, characteristics. Some don’t. There’s a flicker of Patience in many of my stories – women yearning to be free of judgment or cultural norms, and to find their own voice. I owe a lot to this fictional character who set me on the path to fiction, and gave me the encouragement I needed to keep writing. 

Like Patience, I was on fire.

My latest book which I’m readying to send to the publisher features three strong-willed women, with not a trace of magic to be found. The Three Widows of Wylder is historical fiction, set in the American West, about Clara, Mary Rose, and Emma who are each on the run from terrible crimes. A bit of Patience’s determination to persevere is in each of these characters. They know what they want and aren’t about to sit back and let events govern their endings. These spirited women go about achieving (or not) their goals in very different ways. I’ll share more about this upcoming book later this year.

As I finish up this latest manuscript, I’m already outlining my next book or two, with Patience as my muse. Guaranteed, in one way or another, my future heroines will contain fire in their core.


 

Here’s a snippet from Women Are From Mercury:

 

Patience stepped into the warm sunlight. The loose church stairs creaked under her shoes just like always. This was her favorite moment of the day. After the devil-warning, verse-reciting monotony of the church service was completed, she was dismissed from chores until the following morning. Out of sight of the house, Patience would strip off her petticoats, kick off her shoes and simply run as fast as she could. She would throw rocks, crush lavender between her fingers and sing by the cooling breeze of the river. She’d wade into the river’s cool waters and remain there, her feet submerged, until her toes turned blue. Patience reveled in her freedom.

The very sight of Patience was an offence to the Preacher. She came to him in his dreams. Those crystal blue eyes, her swollen bosom and tiny waist. The Preacher would toss and turn in his narrow bachelor’s bed, sweaty and tortured as Patience’s rosy, full lips whispered softly to him ungodly desires.

“That girl’s overdue for marriage,” the Preacher said to Patience’s father after service one day. Startled, Patience’s father’s eyes followed after the Preacher’s to his daughter. For the first time, he noticed the provocative sway of her hips as she walked and the alluring bounce of her shiny hair upon her shoulders. From across the yard, he heard her soft laugh – beckoning, teasing, and bewitching.

Patience’s father looked back and saw the Preacher lick his lips.

Read the rest of the story here: https://acrossthemargin.com/women-are-from-mercury/



 

5 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Women without choices is a constant threat. Your first story sounds like it's needed now. How great that Patience is now your muse.

Tena Stetler said...

I have to agree with Diane, women without choices is a constant threat. How lucky for you that patient is now. Good luck with your new manuscript.I love the Wylder series. I just turned in a manuscript for that series as well. Fingers crossed.

Maureen said...

Thanks for sharing! I loved the excerpt and how wonderful that Patience is now your muse (love her name, too).

Marilyn Barr said...

I can't wait to read The Three Widows of Wylder! I'm obsessed with the series and your book looks like a gem.

Mary Morgan said...

Wow! This post struck a powerful cord within me. My upcoming release has two women without choices and destinies forged by others. What a fascinating post, Julie. All the best with your manuscript. Sounds intriguing. :)