Thursday, May 20, 2021

Thinking of Dabbling in Serialized Fiction

There are so many ways to consume great stories and books these days. In addition to the traditional books (whether ebook or print) we now have audiobooks, fan fiction websites, online choose your own adventure comic-style books, and joining the mix is serialized fiction.

Actually, when I was looking up "how to's" for serialized fiction I learned it's been around for quite some time. At least back to Dickens and his Pickwick Papers. Serialized fiction is a format where a single larger work is published in smaller, sequential installments. Think of it almost like TV episodes. There are emerging websites like Radish where you can read curated serialized fiction.

As a reader the pro for this is that authors generally publish the next "installment" in the story at least once a week. So you don't have to wait months or sometimes years for your next fix of those favorite characters, world, or plot. The con is that you only get short snippets. Length can vary but is generally a single scene, between 1k and 3k words total. A quick taste, usually with a cliffhanger ending, and then you have to wait for the next installment.

As a writer I can also see pros and cons. Pros is that the author can keep readers hooked and have regular content to share. Cons, the story develops almost in real time. You don't get to go back and fix this mistake or adjust that character, adjust the plot, etc. As a writer who revels in the editing process, this would be the biggest deterrent for me.

However, just for fun I've decided to give it a try. Sort of. In my private FB group for readers (Abbie's Awesome Nerds) I'm writing the next story in my Brimstone Inc. series in real time. Starting with set up questions that readers vote on. Once I get going the idea is at the end of each scene to have readers vote on what happens next. I figure this gives readers a very behind the scenes look at my personal process and will be a fun way to see how a book turns out by committee. Once we reach "The End" I intend to go through my full editing process, perfecting and changing as needed and publish it officially.

So what do you think? Is serialized fiction for you? Are you already into it? Or would you rather have the full story in one shot?

7 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

What a great way to "meet" a new author for a taste of their writing. But as an OCD reader, a taste just wouldn't be enough. I'd need instant gratification. Give me all of it!

Jessica E. Subject said...

I've read fan fiction in the serialized form. I'd say the biggest deterrent is when a story you love never gets finished by the author. I think with this format, it's important to have a very intriguing first chapter, and a constant release schedule. Otherwise, the reader might not be as invested in the story and come back for more. At least, that's been my experience as a reader. I've never tried it as an author. Since my writing varies from week to week, I think I'd have to have the story finished first, even if I released it this way.

Mary Morgan said...

In my humble opinion, I'm not a fan of serialized fiction. Especially when an author publishes them in short stories and you had to wait so long for the next one. As an avid reader, I would forget the story plot. There are other issues I had but I won't add them here. As a writer, I would only do this in my readers group--usually to spark an interest and/or an opinion. Great post, Abigail.

Maureen said...

It would be a good way to get a feel for the author. I remember when Stephen King did something like this with the Green Mile (I think that was it).

Tena Stetler said...

Interesting. Could be a good way to check out new authors. I sorta did that with a short story on my website about 6 years ago, publishing a chapter every couple of weeks until it was done. Then later after a few edits it was published in a not for profit anthology. I gained a lot of readers on my website, but like you said, once it was up, there was no tweaking it. I too like the editing process. So ultimately, I decided serialized fiction wasn't for me. I also say never say never. LOL As a voracious reader, a chapter is not always enough to get me invested and by the time the next installment came out, I'd forgotten what I'd read on that story. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Burton said...

Fascinating idea. As you said, not a new idea. Newspapers printed serialized stories in the 1800s. As a reader, I might try a new author this way. But I wouldn't want to wait longer than a week between chapters/episodes. As a writer, I would have to have the whole story finished, since I often go back and change things.

Nightingale said...

As a reader, probably not, but as a writer, I'm thinking of doing it with one of my books.