I’ve always had a fascination with vampires, from their skewed moral codes to their diet to their strengths and weaknesses. I've written an entire vampire series, but it wasn’t without a heavy amount of research. Here are some interesting things I came across as I was writing the series.
Interesting Facts About Vampires I Came Across in My Research for The Bloodborn Series
1. BurialSome people, who were believed to be vampires, were buried with a severed head, with the head face down. That way if the vampire still lived, it couldn’t use its teeth to dig upward, but only dig themselves deeper downward.
2. MirrorsMirrors were backed with “pure” metals, which didn’t interact with a vampire. That’s why they were never able to see their reflection. It’s only when mirrors started being backed by metals not as pure were they considered able to see their reflections. This is only one take on mirrors and vampires, but it was my favorite one.
3. WeaknessesAlthough vampires have many strengths, they also have weaknesses as well. Some of these include sunlight, garlic, holy water, and stakes (silver or wooden).
4. Vampires Can’t Enter a Building Without PermissionAs long as you stay in sunlight, keep garlic on you, or stay inside, you are safe from a vampire! Unless you unknowingly invite one into your house…
5. TransformationVampires are known to be able to transform into animals such as bats, cats, mice, and more. They can even disappear into puffs of smoke as if they had never been there in the first place.
Although not all of these vampire facts made it into my Bloodborn novels, some things in the series are heavily based off of of few of these interesting details and superstitions. I’m particularly excited about book #5 coming out because I included a mirror crafted with impure metals. What happens when a vampire sees his reflection for the first time?
Find out in book 5!
For more cool stuff about vampires, check out The Bloodborn Series below.