Thursday, November 25, 2021

Being Thankful by Nancy Gideon


We made it to November 2021. Be Thankful! After the year we all had, enough said.

Of course, being a writer I couldn’t leave it at that. I have a list a mile long of people and things that have stuffed this year full of gratitude. Here are just a few of them:
  1. Family, all well and (mostly) together for the holiday after a year of isolation! Who thought eating together in a restaurant would seem like such a cause for thanks?
  2. A dream trip to Ireland for three weeks with writer friends,
  3. Starting a new project during above listed trip,
  4. The CDC and Anthony Fauci for getting us this far,
  5. My sister for housing my grouchy butt along with my grouchy son for the past five years,
  6. My cats for keeping me grounded and reminding me that my main purpose in life is to keep their bowls filled,
  7. My office’s window on the world – just treetops changing with the seasons and sky changing as fast as my moods . . . and sometimes hot guys roofing the family room!
  8. My virtual assistant who handles all the tech aggravations. THANKS, Florence, My Girl Friday (and every day!),
  9. My critique group who still supports each other after 30 years,
  10. Netflix.
  11. Food on the table, every day,
  12. HEALTH! (never to be underappreciated!),
  13. Higher brain function . . . even though finding the right word or where I left my phone sometimes becomes a Mapquest event,
  14. Community. I never realized how much I missed seeing neighbors (even when they host loud parties!),
  15. Going to the store (a loathed event now a celebrated occasion!), and, last but hardly least...
  16. YOU GUYS, for filling my month with inspiration (and sometimes a guilty conscience) along with the desire to get back to the keyboard!
That’s far from everything, but I have Thanksgiving Part Deux to get ready for. Hope it finds you healthy, happy, well fed, and surrounded by family or at least, memories to last a lifetime.

♚♚♚♚♚
Nancy Gideon on the Web




3 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Nancy! Love your list. #4 resonated with me. Too bad we don’t have knighthood here in the US. Sir Anthony has been a voice of reason and reliance during the past almost two years. So grateful for him. We all could second many of your list itemss, especially the last. And your friendship, Nancy, means the world to me.

Mary Morgan said...

Aww, I love this list, Nancy! Happy Thanksgiving! I shouted, "Yes" to so many, especially #16. Thank you!

Nancy Gideon said...

We take so many of our blessings for granted . . . until they're threatened. It was a much needed wakeup call.