Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Resolutions, Goals, or Intentions, oh my!

 By Maureen Bonatch 


 

A new year, but often the same resolution for many people. Most confident that they’ll be able to keep their resolution. Otherwise, why keep making them? 

Perhaps because we want to start fresh with a new year, and it’s difficult to admit that sometimes we might be responsible for not achieving successful goals. 

The good news is that we’re not alone. Most don’t achieve them, but even knowing that, it’s a good idea to make them since they have a positive effect in giving us hope for the new year. The other good news is that you have options. 

Resolution or Goal?


A resolution is more of an overarching decision to do, or not to do something, while a goal involves more taking action to make it happen. You could also set an intention, or determine a word that you want to focus and work toward through the year. 

I’ve found that often my resolutions tend to be the same year after year, so last year I laid out specific goals. I achieved many of them this way—such as publishing three books in my new Charmed Cocktail Cozies—while others I continued to struggle with, such as the roller coaster of embracing self-care and health. 

For many of us we want to set a very high expectation, which we think would be fabulous to obtain, but it can also set us up for disappointment if we can’t live up to our own standards. 

This year I’m planning to try something different. I know, the year has already started, but it’s never too late to make a new goal, or resolution, or intention in my opinion. 

Stop, Start or Pause


I plan to decide what I want to start doing more of, and stop doing with the hope that these will help drive me toward achieving more goals and overall satisfaction. Because usually there is something that is interfering, or stopping us, from achieving those goals. Perhaps getting to the root cause of the issue might help me find success. 




For example. I have won NaNoWri almost every year, yet it is the only month I hold myself to that word count standard. 

I plan to: 

  • Stop lying to myself about how I will make up my desired daily word count during a few days of the week. 

  • Start setting structured word count goals and holding myself accountable for them. 

Another would be to: 

  • Stop taking course after course looking for the ‘secret sauce’. 

  • Start implementing what I’ve learned. 

I might also decide to put some goals on pause. This might not be the right time to pursue them, but that doesn't mean that another time wouldn't work if I return to it later.

 How About You? Do You Make a Resolution? Goal? Intention? None of the Above, or Other? 


Check out this fabulous cozy mystery giveaway- maybe you can win some new books to start the new year! Enter RIGHT HERE.


Just a small-town girl, Maureen Bonatch leads a double life. She lives in a magical world as a novelist, and as a nurse leader in reality. Maureen’s first novella was a paranormal romance published when blogs were a new-fangled thing. She’s since changed her focus to writing paranormal cozy mysteries as M.L. Bonatch and urban fantasy as Maureen Bonatch. 

 While she’s not busy writing or doing nurse-things, she’s a mom to her twin daughters, bicycling in the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby, doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, and dancing as much as possible. She believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and that caffeine and wine are essential for survival. 

 Find M.L Bonatch on Amazon or  Keep the conversation going by joining my Facebook Group right HERE!

6 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Maureen. I tend to make goals, rather than resolutions. I'm a listmaker. Love checking off things I've accomplished. After setting a goal, I have to take steps to achieve it. That's where the checking things off a list comes in. Unfortunately, I only make goals for my writing career, not my life. That's what I should concentrate on--making myself healthier. Off to make a list of what I need to do. LOL Happy New Year!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Happy New Year, Maureen! I don't know if I really make goals or resolutions. I'm more of a task maker. I have certain things I need to work on each day, but I don't set a finish date unless it's something I'm working on for someone else. I get discouraged easily if I don't reach my goals by a certain time, so simply working on a project is better for me. I'm a lot like Diane in that I use lists, but for both personal and work.

Maureen said...

Thanks for stopping by! I think success largely depends on each person, so it's great to try different things. Happy New Year!

Impressionville said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Morgan said...

Happy New Year, Maureen! Enjoyed your post. I don't do resolutions or goals. I concentrate on a word for the year. Usually, it comes to me at the end of December and/or early January. This year's word is 'journey' and I'm excited.

Maureen said...

Oh I like your word, Mary! Happy New Year!