Sunday, April 2, 2023

Guest: Jennifer Ivy Walker and THE LADY OF THE MIRRORED LAKE

Today we have a guest here on Paranormal Romantics, Jennifer Ivy Walker. She's here to share some tidbits about her new book THE LADY OF THE MIRRORED LAKE.



Background

When I earned my MA in French literature, I fell in love with the medieval legend of Tristan et Yseult. As a high school French teacher, I had my advanced classes read that  roman courtois as part of our study of France in the Middle Ages. I enhanced my students’ learning by illustrating the story with puppets, playing the French musical, “Tristan et Yseult”, teaching a medieval Breton dance, and watching the French version of the film “Tristan and Isolde” (with James Franco and Sophia Myles), culminating in “Le Théâtre en Classe”-- where my students reenacted the story in costumes, even performing a play I had written for them at the annual state French competition.  I decided to write my trilogy based on my love for the medieval legend, the different musical, theatrical, and cinematographic interpretations of that French tale, and the play I had written for my students.



Retelling the legend of “Tristan et Yseult”

I never liked the tragic ending of the original medieval legend. Tristan and Yseult pined for each other throughout the story and ended up dying of broken hearts, much like Romeo and Juliette. Although I did retain a lot of the original storyline in developing my trilogy, I created new characters and rewove the plot with much more inclusion of the Arthurian myth related to the French legend. I also incorporated paranormal fantasy elements, such as Druids, forest fairies, Elves, dwarves, and dark lore from the mystical Forest of Brocéliande. I even created my own version of Avalon --based on French research--with an entirely different ending than the original medieval French legend of Tristan et Yseult.




 World Building

I read and researched French legends from the enchanted Forest of Brocéliande for many aspects of the fantasy world, including tales of Lancelot, Merlin, the Lady of the Lake, and Avalon. I also drew upon my childhood experiences growing up on a tidal bay in Maine and my keen interest in plants, herbs, and healing crystals. I’ve always loved Victor Hugo’s works, having studied French Romanticism with a passion, and I incorporated that love and creative inspiration into my novels as well.  As a French teacher, I frequently traveled to France, visiting châteaux, sites of medieval pilgrimage, and troglodyte caves of the Loire Valley. I blended all of this together, weaving in certain aspects of fairy tales, such as Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, to embroider the medieval legend of Tristan et Yseult with creative, vivid imagery and fiery, romantic passion.


 Conclusion of the trilogy 

 “The Emerald Fairy and the Dragon Knight”—book 3 and the conclusion of The Wild Rose and the Sea Raven trilogy—will be published June 21st—the summer solstice. And I am delighted that my novel, “Winter Solstice in the Crystal Castle”, will be published later this year as well. It’s a medieval romance between a feisty French Viking princess forced to marry a man she loathes and the sullen, chivalrous knight who suffers an impossible love for his vibrant, valiant Valkyrie.

 Excerpt

“I love you, Issylte. With every breadth of my soul. With every beat of my heart. I am yours. Now, and forever.” His sea raven heart soared in the love light shining in her forest fairy eyes.

“And I love you, Tristan. You are my warrior. My friend. My teacher.  The only one who ever believed in me. Who promised to fight for me. Beside me.”

 Rising onto her knees, she took both of his hands in hers and kissed them. Her eyes glistening, she whispered, “You gave me weapons. Trained me to fight. To defend myself. And that…” she choked, gazing up at him, is not only the greatest gift I have ever received. It also saved my life.”

She kissed his hands again. “You are helping me to grow, Tristan. To believe in myself. To face the wicked queen who denies me my birthright. Who killed so many of those I loved.  Whose evil threatens us all.” Lying down at his side, she laid her head over his pounding heart. He softly stroked her long blond hair. “You have made me strong, whole, and complete, Tristan. I am totally, utterly, undeniably yours.

He held her for a few moments. His wild rose. Then, rising to his feet, Tristan took her hands, and pulled her close. He wrapped his arms around her waist, gazing intently into the deep green eyes of his Muse.

 “Toi et moi. So it shall be.  You and I are entwined. Eternally.”

Buy Links:

Amazon link:  https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Mirrored-Lake-Wild-Raven-ebook/dp/B0BKYHZGFJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=13647SWRD1MQV&keywords=lady+of+the+mirrored+lake&qid=1673574202&sprefix=lady+of+the+mirrored%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-lady-of-the-mirrored-lake-jennifer-ivy-walker/1142600233?ean=2940186700920

 

Author Bio for Jennifer Ivy Walker

 Enthralled with legends of medieval knights and ladies, dark fairy tales and fantasies about Druids, wizards and magic, Jennifer Ivy Walker always dreamed of becoming a writer. She fell in love with French in junior high school, continuing her study of the language throughout college, eventually becoming a high school teacher and college professor of French.


As a high school teacher, she took her students every year to the annual French competition, where they performed a play she had written, "Yseult la Belle et Tristan la Bête"--an imaginative blend of the medieval French legend of "Tristan et Yseult" and the fairy tale "Beauty and the Beast", enhanced with fantasy elements of a Celtic fairy and a wicked witch.

“The Lady of the Mirrored Lake”—book 2 of “The Wild Rose and the Sea Raven” trilogy--is a blend of her love for medieval legends, the romantic French language, and paranormal fantasy. It is a paranormal fantasy adaptation of the medieval legend of "Tristan et Yseult" (Tristan and Isolde), interwoven with Arthurian myth, dark fairy tales from the enchanted Forest of Brocéliande, and otherworldly elements such as Avalonian Elves, Druids, forest fairies and magic.

Explore her realm of Medieval French Fantasy. She hopes her novels will enchant you.

Website:  https://jenniferivywalker.com/

Goodreads Author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/22671046.Jennifer_Ivy_Walker

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/the-lady-of-the-mirrored-lake-the-wild-rose-and-the-sea-raven-book-2-by-jennifer-ivy-walker

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferIvyWalker

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/bohemienneivy

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/jenniferivywalkerauthor/

Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@jenniferivywalker


 






6 comments:

Jennifer Ivy Walker said...

Thank you so much for featuring me and my new release, The Lady of the Mirrored Lake" on your blog!

Diane Burton said...

Welcome, Jennifer. We're all happy you're here.

Jessica E. Subject said...

I think one of the joys of retellings is including aspects that you love from many sources, and giving the story the ending you want. Congratulations on your new release, Jennifer!

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your release!

Anastasia Abboud said...

So romantic! Great post! Congratulations on Lady of the Mirrored Lake!

Tena Stetler said...

Congrats on your new release. I have to agree with Jessica retelling a story the way you want is fun and exciting for you has well as your readers.