Friday, April 7, 2023

Learn more about the USRA (& fun with infographics) with author Jessica E. Subject

 


Happy April everyone!

Sometimes coming up with an idea for my post each month is challenging, especially since I'm still busy writing with nothing new to share. I was looking through so many lists of what authors can blog about. There were many ideas, but nothing I wanted to tackle. Some of the ideas talked about fun things. So, I decided to do something that was fun for me.

I decided to post about something that ties my Kaddim Brothers series to my upcoming series, Romance Tales from the Quadrants. Space Racing. And that leads to the USRA, the Universal Space Racer Association. The fun part for me was making an infographic about the organization. 

Here's how I did it...

  1. Brainstorm the key points you want to share. Depending on how much information you're going to include with each point, you should have four to eight points.
  2. Decide on colors for your infographic. You don't want them to include more than two colors for your fonts. And be cautious of the graphics you include. Too many can be distracting and not convey the information you want to share.
  3. Decide on graphics. You can do some of this in the next step, or find them now, depending on how you're putting the infographic together. For mine, I had to create a logo for the organization, and that meant some research on logos, especially organizations and companies related to racing and space.
  4. Once I had the basics decided, I went to Canva. There, I scrolled through the infographic templates they had to find one that worked best or the items I wanted to include. Templates are not set in stone, so you can replace, delete, add, and change many things.
  5. My next step was sending it to others to ensure it was readable, had no mistakes, and looked okay.
  6. Then I saved it.
  7. Now, I'm sharing it. Below is the infographic I made for the USRA, the organization that the main character from my work-in-progress works for.

Do you have anything you could make an infographic for? Maybe books written or books read? Something from a book? Or some other interest?

Until next time, happy reading!
Jessica


10 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

This is awesome! What a fun and imaginative way to get information to readers. (Brain busy whirring through backlist to where your brilliance might be utilized . . .)

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Nancy! It was a lot of fun! And a great way to promote, especially a series. Have fun with it, and I look forward to seeing yours!

D. V. STONE said...

I never thought about this. It could be adapted to my fantasy series. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, D. V.! They are another great way to gain interest in your books. Go for it!

Tena Stetler said...

Wow that's an interesting concept. I could use for my series. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Tena! Definitely! And have fun making them!

Diane Burton said...

Fascinating. I feel so unartistic making graphics, but you make this sound easy. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Diane! Canva makes things so easy, so as long as you have a basic idea of what you want, you can make it. Or Canva can also inspire you with their templates. If you need any help making one, feel free to contact me.

Maureen said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Maureen!