Friday, August 4, 2023

What’s Your Least Favorite Food?

By Maureen Bonatch


 A book I read recently had delightful descriptions of food. I wouldn’t call myself a foodie, but I love to eat like most people. So this had my mouth watering for some of the dishes it described. 


I have tried and can eat most foods. Granted, I’d prefer not to have a second taste of some foods, but I could eat them. All except for one thing…olives.

Me and Olives Will Never Be Besties

I grew up in an old-school home where you had to eat what was on your plate or sit there until you did, which meant I ate a lot of things as a kid that I’d prefer never to eat again. (This also meant my super-picky sister spent a lot of time sitting at the table long after the meal ended—until we got a dog. Then, somehow, the food often disappeared from her plate. I dunno, it remains a mystery…)


I vividly remember the first time I tried the dreaded olive. It was at a neighbor’s picnic. They had the usual food spread out, which included a cold-cut tray and a relish tray. I love pickles, so I made a beeline for those tasty treats, and I noticed the black olives there. The other kids were putting them on their fingers before eating them, so of course, I thought. What fun! True finger foods! 


Following suit, I lined up the fingers on my hand and popped an olive in my mouth. Needless to say, the fun of these finger foods ended quickly for me.

The Princess and the Olive

Olives are in a lot of dishes. A lot! So over the years, I tried to overcome my dislike for olives mainly because my hubby and my kids love olives. But to no avail. My hubby insisted my dislike was in my head, that there was no way I could resist something he adored. Then one day, I validated that it wasn’t all in my head. 


I’d purchased a new frozen dinner, but as soon as I took the first bite, I realized I didn’t like it. It tasted horrible. Was something wrong with the dinner? 


I examined the box, but the expiration date was long off. I looked at the photo on the front; all the ingredients sounded tasty. I took another bite—bleh. 


I couldn’t eat it, even though I was at work and had nothing to eat. I flipped over the box and reviewed the ingredients. As I neared the last items and there it was—olive paste.


I later pointed out to my hubby that me and olives were like the story of the Princess and the Pea. The princess could detect a pea buried under the mattresses. Apparently, I could do the same with an olive in a dish.

Do You Have a Least Favorite Food?


Here’s Some Stories to Whet Your Appetite

Summer of Fun Free Cozies

Click Here: https://books.bookfunnel.com/ncs-cozymystery/gqpzxib5r5


Free Urban Fantasy Reads

Click Here: https://books.bookfunnel.com/freebieurbanfantasy/3hmss093e8



Cat-themed Cozy Mysteries

Click Here: https://books.bookfunnel.com/catcozymystaugust/fzc90zzvp6






Just a small-town girl, Maureen Bonatch leads a double life. She lives in a magical world as a novelist and as a nurse leader in reality. Maureen’s first novella was a paranormal romance published when blogs were a new-fangled thing. 


Maureen writes cozy paranormal mysteries and paranormal romance as M.L. Bonatch and urban fantasy as Maureen Bonatch. While she’s not busy writing or doing nurse things, she’s a mom to her twin daughters, bicycling in the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby, doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, and dancing as much as possible. She believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and caffeine and wine are essential for survival.


 Follow M.L. Bonatch all through cyberspace! 

 Amazon page    BookBub Facebook Goodreads Newsletter https://www.maureenbonatch.com/free-book/



Keep the conversation going by joining my Facebook Group right HERE! https://www.facebook.com/groups/630494098126926


5 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Jessica E. Subject said...

I don't like olives, either. But I use olive oil all the time. Like your sister, I often sat at the table long after dinner was over. I have sensory issues with some foods and simply cannot eat them because of texture. And our dog didn't help. Peas are my least favorite food. They are squishy and gross. I love eggs and bananas, but sometimes cannot eat them due to sensory issues. I've tried a lot of new foods as an adult, and found some new favorites. I've also learned some foods I love do horrible things to my stomach and can no longer eat them. Like popcorn and nuts or chunks of them.

Maureen said...

Jessica- I can use olive oil. Somehow, it's not the same to me, lol.

Nightingale said...

Since you asked, mine is chicken, and I don't like the consistency of oatmeal.