Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Where Did the saying "Dog Day's of Summer" Originate? Tena Stetler


As we enter the Dog Days of Summer, I wondered where its origins began. You know me, inquiring minds want to know. <grin> The phrase "dog days of summer" originates in ancient Greek and Roman astronomy and mythology. It refers to the period of hot and humid weather that occurs during the summer months.

In ancient times, "dog days" was used to describe the period when the star Sirius, also known as the Dog Star, rose in conjunction with the sun. Sirius is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major, which means "greater dog" in Latin.

The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that the heat during this time of year was caused by the combined energy of the sun and Sirius. They believed that Sirius added its own heat to the sun's heat, leading to exceptionally hot weather.


The dog days of summer were typically associated with drought, sudden thunderstorms, and other weather phenomena. They were also believed to bring illness, bad luck, and even madness. These days, people often avoided outdoor activities and sought shade and water to cool off.

Over time, the term "dog days" came to be used more generally to describe any particularly hot or sweltering weather during the summer months. It became a common expression in English literature and culture, used to evoke the image of the hottest and most uncomfortable days of summer.

Today, the dog days of summer are still used to describe a period of intense heat and humidity. It is a time when many people take vacations, go swimming, or find ways to beat the heat.

One way to beat the heat is Ice Cream! I have just the book for you to relax under a shade tree with One Scoop or Two - Chocolate Raspberry Magic by Tena Stetler.  Pssst... its available in audio book also.


Prim and proper Trinity Shilo is the assistant manager for Salem's Wildlife Sanctuary. She hasn't had much luck in the boyfriend department, but the new employee Paul is different. Deep and brooding she sees something special hidden below the surface. Besides she has secrets of her own. 

 Paul Thorp is a wounded Special Forces veteran now working in security and computer support. He's fought hard to keep his demons in check and for the first time feels he is ready for a real relationship.

 When a fire breaks out at Puffin Cove Rescue they are called in to help with the recovery and ice cream social fundraiser. Sometimes things are not what they seem, and neither are people. When magic is unleashed things will never be the same.

Universal Buy Link  click here:


Thanks for checking out my Dog Days Of Summer post. Tell me what you think in the comments!  See ya next month! 

6 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

We are majorly dogging it here in Michigan! Hot, sticky and not in a good way. Love the premise of your book. Just when I promised myself I wouldn't One Click until I read some of what I already had. Oh well . . . I'm weak where books are concerned. And that's not a bad thing.

Jessica E. Subject said...

I'm ready for the dog days to be over! I've always loved the fall. Not really big on pumpkin spice stuff or Halloween. I simply like the hot, muggy, and bug-filled weather to be over. LOL

Tena Stetler said...

Nancy, I know the feeling, I say no more one click books, and boom, one comes along, I can't resist! Oh, well, there are worst things. I am so ready for fall, punpkin everything and cool weather. What a weather year. I know you'll love Chocolate Raspberry Magic to cool you off and ice cream too.

Jessia, Yep me to ready for dog days to be over. Hot sucks. I hate bugs which is why I live in Colorado. LOL

Tena Stetler said...

Oh, and I love Halloween! The costumes, the pumpkin stuff, the leaves crunching under your feet, the smell of fall, the crisp morning air. Bring it on! Oh, and corn candy! LOL

Maureen said...

Great info! I love the pic showing how Mystic is beating the heat in the dog days of summer, lol!

Diane Burton said...

Learned something new today. I've heard the expression "dog days" never knew where it came from. Great post. Ice cream is definitely a good way to beat the heat.