Thursday, September 14, 2023

Without the Piano – the World would BƄ

 



I love the piano, and so does Morgan, my hero in my new release, Sinners’ Opera.  He’s a classical pianist, but has been known to play Mr. Piano Man, in a low-rent piano bar in Charleston, SC while customers too drunk to listen threw money in a fishbowl.



Now, we all know what the piano is, but I thought I’d collect a few facts about the struck string instrument.  The exact time the piano was invented is uncertain, but its birth dates to the 1700s, in Italy.  The term piano is a shortened form of pianoforte, Italian for the instrument, which in turn derives from gravicembalo col piano e forte and fortepiano. 

An acoustic piano usually has a protective wooden case surrounding the soundboard and metal strings, and 88 black and white keys. The strings are sounded when the keys are pressed or struck, and silenced by a damper when the keys are released.

Three notable brands are Steinway, Bosendorfer (both German-made), and Mason & Hamlin, an American-produced instrument and my personal favorite.  The Mason & Hamlin features a tension bar to stabilize and give longer life to the soundboard. The M&H has a beautiful, round sound with rich, deep bass and bell-like treble.

A couple of companies make electronic reproducing systems for the piano, including PianoDisc and Pianomation by QRS Music.  The keys move as if a ghost were playing.  They are really sweet and very good inspiration. The Pianomation System uses solenoids mounted under the keys to play the notes. In the newest system, the solenoids are driven by a processor which is connected to your own WiFi network. The piano can then be controlled wirelessly by any smart phone, tablet or laptop connected to your WiFi. Using the QRS PNO app, you select the album you want to hear, press play, and the piano will play the song you’ve selected. If you’ve selected a song with accompaniment, that will play through a speaker mounted under the piano.

In Sinners’ Opera, the piano features strongly. Some type of the instrument is mentioned or waiting in the wings as the story unfolds. It is a vampire paranormal (Morgan is an English lord, a pianist, and a vampire.)  BuyLink  Only $2.99!




5 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Always wished I'd learned to play the piano but I can only enjoy the listening. Sounds like an intriguing read. Checking my TBR list for an opening . . .

Nightingale said...

Thanks, Nancy, for stopping by and commenting. Maybe you should buy a piano with a player system. They're great.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Interesting piano facts! Thanks for sharing, Linda!

Anonymous said...

I always loved your passion for pianos.

Diane Burton said...

My first big purchase after I married was a piano. I even took lessons and both my kids had piano lessons. Our piano went to daughter when we moved to a smaller house. I always hoped my grandchildren would learn. So far, not. One plays violin and one plays guitar and bass, so they have music in their lives, which I think is really important. Thanks for the informative post.