Sunday, October 1, 2023

Birthdays by Diane Burton



The celebration of one's birthday has been going on for centuries. Each country and/or religion celebrates birthdays in varied ways, with certain years (milestones) given more significance.

In the United States and Canada, girls are given a "sweet sixteen" party.

In some Hispanic countries, the quinceanera is the celebration of a girl's 15th birthday. 

In Nepal and India, on a first birthday, the child's head is shaved. Getting rid of hair is believed to cleanse the child of evils in past lives and symbolizes a renewal of the soul.

Japan has a "Coming of Age Day" for those who turn 18.

If you are lucky enough to live in a British Commonwealth country and attain the age of 100, plan on getting a card from the royal family.

In the U.S., sometimes a baby's first birthday is celebrated with two cakes--one for the guests and one for the baby to smash. Instead of smashing her cake, our daughter daintily pick off the icing with her thumb and index finger then tasted. 

My mother-in-law made a "doll" cake for the baby, using an angelfood cake pan for the cake with a plastic doll stuck into the middle, and the icing made to look like a gown. My mom made each of us an orange chiffon cake, which is still one of my favorites.

For several years, I used Wilton cake pans to decorate novelty cakes for my kids (an astronaut, Raggedy Ann, Sesame Street's the Count, etc.) 



What about those "milestone" birthdays? You know, the ones that end in zero. Well, that's me tomorrow. Yep, I'm hitting one of those. I'm not sure whether to laugh and celebrate or cry that I'm that old. But then I remember my father-in-law's axiom--old age is better than the alternative.


Today, we are fortunate to reach certain ages. My grandparents died in their 60s. Medicine has advanced so much that today they'd be celebrating with me. My mother-in-law and her sister traveled internationally in their 90s. Both lived to be over 100. My mom died much younger from complications of Alzheimer's. 

When the aches and pains associated with arthritis and other maladies get me down, I'm think about how lucky I am that my mind is still working. That I can still play with my grandchildren. That I can still write those stories stored in my mind.

If you have a birthday coming up, I'm happy to share in the celebration.

 

8 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

I've inherited longevity (hopefully!) from stock that lived into their late '80s and one of them to 104 (not sure I'm aiming for that!). As long as I'm healthy and cognizant of my surroundings I'm ready to go the long haul. Better start working on that healthy part . . . You're turning 60? How exciting!

Keri Kruspe said...

Congrats on achieving a lifetime goal with a "zero" at the end of your birth digits! Next year I gain a milestone that ends in a "5" - and I'm planning on celebrating by leaving work then! Yay... I can't wait to spend my days on my chosen love - writing.

For all of us, it's important to stay healthy and keep those brain cells cooking so we can enjoy what comes next.

Diane Burton said...

Nancy, LOL you are so kind. Health and mental acuity are so essential. Here's to many more birthdays.

Diane Burton said...

Keri, you betcha. Keep those brain cells cooking. Yay.

Jessica E. Subject said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Diane! Hurray for us Libras! I just hit a birthday that ended in a 5, but I have noticed a lot of changes in my life and to my body over the past year. Wishing you all the best in the year ahead! 🎂🎉

Karen Baldwin said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a glorious one. I treasure being alive everyday because there were times I wasn't so sure I'd make it. So I celebrate every year I'm still here. I have to smile thinking abut the upcoming solar eclipse. I remember when I was ten and my teacher was talking about the solar eclipse that's occuring that year and when the next one would be. I remember thinking - I'll be fifty, I'll be old!!! Well, I've far surpassed that age and exhilarated to still be here to watch this year's solar eclipse.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Jess, and happy birthday to you!

Diane Burton said...

What a great attitude, Karen. Enjoy each day, grateful to be alive.