Sunday, June 10, 2012

My favourite myths

Not Greek or Roman, though those have to be a close second, but the myths which always inspired me when I was growing up were the traditional stories and myths from the Anishinaabe (First Nations) people of Canada.

Probably, because it is part of my distance heritage.

One of my first memories of a child was being afraid of thunder storms (I love them now) and my father telling me about thunderbirds. Great massive birds who were protectors. He also led me to believe a thunderbird lived down in a massive storm sewer drain off Highway 2 in Whitby, Ontario ...but that's neither here nor there. ;-)

He also told me  the Inuk people believe that the Aurora Borealis is the spirits of those who passed on coming close to earth where they could see them happy in the next life.

I've always been fascinated by the legends of the First Nations. It's affecting my writing too. My current WIP deals with a witch and a warrior, but I can't say too much more about that! ;-)

This summer I get to experience a heck of a lot more of this culture as I travel across country with my family.

Not only Canadian First Nations people, but American as well. We're going to be passing through Little Big Horn in Montana and many reservations. Out West I'll have a chance to explore more during the 100th Anniversary of the Calgary Stampede.

I'm excited and looking forward to more inspiration as I travel across the country.

I hope to see a lot of these, as I will be north of 60 at one point:


Has any myth or folklore ever inspired you in your own writing?

5 comments:

Nia said...

Sounds like an amazing journey...have fun!

Rebecca Royce said...

I've never heard the story of the protector birds. Thats beautiful.

Annie Nicholas said...

I'm green with envy. Sounds like a great road trip. I've heard the Calagary Stampede is fantastic. Bring home some bunnies.

Amy Ruttan said...

I promise to bring home lots of bunnies! :)

I'm really looking forward to it.

We're only 11 days away.

Ella Drake said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! I'd love that. Myths are so fascinating and inspiring--for my own work as well as through so many others. I love recognizing something from a folklore class in a story I'm reading.