Monday, November 12, 2012

Creating a tradition by breaking the mold.

I love Thanksgiving. Hands down it’s my favorite holiday. Eating without guilt. An excuse to make FIVE different pies! What’s not to love? But my Thanksgiving wasn’t always moist turkey with cornbread stuffing, sweet potatoes, and FIVE pies.  My mother’s idea of Thanksgiving dinner was a turkey roll (not sure what kind of meat this was), a box of stovetop stuffing and a hostess pie warmed up with ice cream on it. Now don’t get me wrong, I looked forward to picking out my pie every year but as I became a mother I decided I want my tribe members to have a different memory of Thanksgiving.
A romance is about falling in love. As writers we take this and twist it into our own.  Like my Thanksgiving dinner is different than my mother’s no two writers will tell the same exact story.  Some may write of werewolves, vampires, or mermaids (like my January release). Other’s may stick all humans and throw in a serial killer for spice.
Readers want a variety. So as a writer don’t be afraid to try something new but know sometimes it will work sometimes it won’t. I could share my Thanksgiving horror stories of raw turkey or of sweet potatoes I baked for three hours but I won’t. Instead let me tell you, my turkey is juicy and my sweet potatoes are the most requested dish in our family.  Just as some of the stories I’ve written should never be read, others are good and as I write more - I improve.
I think this year for Thanksgiving I’m going to make a pumpkin soup. Something I’ve never tried. And in 2013, I’m going to try to write a steampunk.  
What would you like to try to write?

No comments: