Thursday, July 18, 2019

Will Acute Sedentary Disorder Kill You? by Elizabeth Alsobrooks


Do You Suffer from Acute Sedentary Disorder?

I know I do.  But did you know that sitting too long can actually kill you?

Most of us know that sitting too long is bad for our health. Writers are especially prone to what I like to call acute sedentary disorder.

While no two writers work the same, almost all of them write sitting down. If you’re one of those few who have a treadmill desk, good for you! Literally.  But most of us sit at desks or on the couch with a computer on our lap.



Let’s face it, we already know that when we sit we use less energy and burn fewer calories. But did you know that multiple medical studies have linked sitting for long periods of time with obesity, increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, diabetes, excess body fat around the waist (a sign of increased heart attack potential) and abnormal cholesterol levels, which make up metabolic syndrome. It’s even been linked to increasing the risk of death by cardiovascular disease and cancer. Yes, cancer.

Any extended sitting can be harmful, and writers, due to the nature of their work, tend to do it more than others. The Mayo Clinic did an analysis of 13 studies on sitting time and activity levels and found that those who sat for 8 or more hours a day with no physical activity had a risk of dying similar to the risks of dying posed by obesity and smoking. However, a study of over 1 million people found that 60 to 75 minutes of moderately intense physical activity a day countered the effects of too much sitting. Keep in mind that that’s ‘daily’ activity. So it sounds to me that writers HAVE to exercise in order to counter the negative health risks of sitting.



What you should note though is that just sitting wasn’t the culprit. It’s the length of time you sit. You know those Fitbit and other exercise-minded watches and devices that have become so popular? You might want to think about getting one. Or use a stop watch. At least once an hour (better would be every 30 minutes), GET UP and move.  Even if it’s just to walk to the rest room. The key is to sit less and move more.  Some studies have suggested that 10,000 steps a day is how much movement you need to keep from having a sedentary lifestyle. That’s why those devices track your steps. 



When you keep the electrical activity charged up in your muscles, it also keeps the electrical activity in your brain moving, so boosts your creativity. A win-win for a writer!

I don't know about you, but as I've aged I noticed that all those broken bones, bumps scrapes, and other youthful foolishness injuries I encountered in my life have settled into my bones. If I sit for too long, it's actually painful to get up. That's because I don't keep the electrical energy in my muscles charged. I have started jogging again, and I admit to feeling much more energetic and productive. My joints don't ache as much, and I'm actually getting fewer migraines. Perhaps my 'personal' study isn't very scientific, but it seems to verify the studies that have been done professionally.



So stand up, go for a run, or just walk around, sit back down, change positions and MOVE.

Write on!

8 comments:

Maureen said...

I have heard about this, and know I sit far more than I should. Even though I made a DIY treadmill desk, I don't use it nearly as much as I should.

Jane Kindred said...

I bought a treadmill desk and don’t use it, because...I have no idea. Anxiety and depression lead to a lot of inertia, which sucks. I’m horrified, however, to see the “60-75” minutes daily recommended figure. I might as well admit defeat now. There’s no way I can accomplish that. I was feeling proud of myself for starting to get back into my 250 minutes a week of walking after dealing with the broken toe from hell for the past 7 months. :/

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Just standing up and then sitting back down half a dozen times every hour keeps your metabolism from crashing into lethargy, Maureen. Use the treadmill for reading and responding to emails and then get back at that desk. They say it makes a huge difference how long your sit without moving.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Jane, take heart. Doing anything more than you are currently doing, doctors say, is still a positive step. Also, if you don't sit still for hours on end and instead move around a bit, you don't need to do that much exercise to counteract the sedentary activity. I have actually found that after about 2 weeks, exercise actually helps alleviate anxiety and depression. Walking, they say, is the very best exercise, so keep up the good work!

Nightingale said...

I always have an excuse for my friends who ask me to work out with them. If you see me running, as they say, I'm being chased. Good advice though, Elizabeth.

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Elizabeth. A good warning to us all. It's painful for me to walk any distance without the support of a walker. So any advice about walking goes in one ear, etc. But just moving every hour or so isn't that hard. The Fitbit (and I'm sure other similar devices) will send a prompt to get up and move. I need to set mine. Thanks for the reminder to take care of ourselves.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

LOL! I know what you mean, Nightingale!

Too true, Diane. I see folks at the gym who use a weight bench to just stand and then sit back down. One lady told me she learned it in physical therapy for her knee. But they say even changing the position you're sitting in is better than not moving at all. I am so guilty of endless sitting it's piano or painting or reading or writing and it's all sit, sit, sit, so I have to force myself to get up and move, for sure.

Nancy Gideon said...

That annoying vibration from my Fitbit is just the thing to remind me that blood has pooled in my butt for long enough. And I'm OCD enough to feel challenged to get in those required steps. If I'm shackled at my work desk for too long, I not only ache, my mind slows down. Good reminder, Elizabeth.