Thursday, July 25, 2019

We Never Talk Anymore . . . by Nancy Gideon

If you’re in the ‘real’ world and hear voices in your head, you see a therapist and go on meds, but it’s perfectly normal to hear the continual conversations of those who don’t exist if you’re a writer. When you’re driving to work, when you’re watching your kid play Little League, and especially when you’re trying to get to sleep – yammer, yammer, yammer – and usually never when you’re near paper and pencil. Talkative characters are a writer’s best friend, telling you who they are, how they feel, filling in your word count to make every sit down at the keyboard a little easier. Giving you direction and CONTENT. Sometimes, you just wish they’d shut up and let you work (or sleep!).

But what happens when they fall silent.


I don’t know what happened. I don’t remember an argument. Was it something I said or did? Suddenly, I stopped hearing those snippets of conversation that had me rushing (but not speeding!) to the office to scribble down those pithy quips. It was unnerving, that absolute lack of inspiration. I’d sit at the keyboard and nothing would come to me. I’d lie awake to the sound of the cat snoring. The drives to work were filled with traffic noise. It’s not like I had nothing to write about. I was chapters deep in the final book of 15 in a series. I had plotlines to tie up, characters to revisit and enjoy. Where did everyone go?

Moody and frustrated, I started filling in those hours between 4:30 and 7:30 a.m. scrolling social media and binge-watching TV series (Riverdale, Castle Rock, Bosch and Luther – highly recommend!), and the conversations I heard at night were from other authors’ characters. Mine had nothing to say. Never in my 30-year career had I felt so . . . alone. Did I still want to write? Maybe it was time to put that childhood dream away. I had plenty to do with a high-stress new job, the approach of Medicare years and retirement, TV series to watch, books to read, family to take care of. The Golden Years. Why beat myself up struggling to find an audience amongst the hoard of indie authors who slapped up new titles every month without a single edit? After over 70 manuscripts, maybe the word well had gone dry.

I stopped going to writer meetings, quit engaging on my media sites, started sleeping in, began labeling myself as a legal assistant instead of a published author. I became one of those people I’d never understood – an author who had nothing more to say and voluntarily walked away.


But I’m not a quitter. I’ll never go quietly into that good night. I wanted my voices back, my passion back from wherever it was hiding. I had to flush the suckers out. But how? Give it no place to hide.

Things weren’t happening at my home office so I took my laptop on the road – to a critique group weekend, a former co-worker’s lake house, and finally to a king suite in a hotel. I reread and outlined the chapters I’d already written. I ignored blog posts in favor of impromptu three to four-page scenes from later in my W.I.P. And words appeared on the screen, a few painfully wrung out sentences at first and then a steady stream. But the minute I was back in my day-to-day, they dried up. Time to change that forced time at the keyboard to a little self-discovery of motive (Hey, I do it with characters all the time!) What was keeping me from my writing? I narrowed it down and confronted those things head-on.

I made my writing time sacred again. I faced the fact that while I loved the income and benefits, the setting, and the people, I really, really disliked that dream job I’d had for eight months. I was a people person trapped in data entry hell. I checked job search sites – and there it was – that opening I wanted in a field I understood where I’d be dealing with clients. I interviewed. And while driving home on that same road I’d traveled for three years just down the street from the last small firm I loved, I heard whispering in my head. Dialogue. I start the new job June 5th. A ton of tension dropped off my shoulders. I got back into daily mini-meditations. I went to a day-long Write In and created not just words but pages of them!!

I’m baaaack!


Don’t let roadblocks stop you! Identify what’s in your way. Look for alternate routes. Make repairs and continue on. If you’re characters aren’t talking, maybe it’s because you’re not listening.

What advice or tricks can you share on how to deal with that sudden wall of silence?

♚♚♚♚♚
Nancy Gideon on the Web


8 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Super post, Nancy. Been there. Sounds like you're back where you belong. After my "hiatus" (4 yrs not writing with a stressful job, mothers who needed me, etc.) it was hard getting back. I established a routine--not as early as yours. lol Then I wrote for fun. I took the onus of publishing off my shoulders. That's when the words came.

Your post really hit home. Now that I'm midway into my WIP, I don't "feel" like writing. Enough of that, I told myself. How to get back? I reread what I'd written, adding words, sentences, little scenes. I explored the motivation of one character more deeply. Instead of a cardboard villain, I dug deeper into his motivation. The characters still aren't talking, but I'm feeling better about the book. If I have to tie them up and torture them, I will. Anything to get them talking again. Good luck on book 15 (of the series). You know you have at least 1 buyer here.

Maureen said...

I love how you took the time to reflect and find the road block- and do something about it! Most writers can certainly relate to the pain of characters who stop talking, and often 'life' is to blame. I know this year I've had less time to write and have lost many of my writing routines. I miss them, but I"m not in the place at the moment to change them - not with a new job and two girls going off to college. I feel as if I'm in a period of transition. I look forward to circling back to that happy writing place as you did!

Sheila S. said...

Nancy..I admire your courage and introspection. I have to say also, that I am so happy your characters are speaking to you again. I'm not a writer as you know, but a retired teacher, so my creative side began and ended in the classroom. I so admire your talent, and I hope you enjoy your new job.

Nancy Gideon said...

Thank you, Sheila! It's not too late to find a new creative outlet . . . Just saying. We mature folk can learn new tricks!

Rohn Federbush said...

Nancy, thank you for your insight and encouragement. I'm editing the second novel in a paranormal series. My gut hurts after about an hour of work. i feel so stupid. I knew better than to put a comma there, of course I meant we're, that's right the reader doesn't know he left the room. Whoa all those negatives and I have to take a lie down. Wish I was perfect and didn't need to pay an editor; but better a paid editor than a potential agents look at my mistakes. I told a boos once, when he was complaining about my mistakes, "Hey if I didn't do anything I wouldn't make mistakes. I guess I'll use that next time my stomach rebels at my human errors.

Nancy Gideon said...

Rohn, better has nothing to do with it! I pay an editor. All authors should have their work professionally edited before it goes to the reader. ALL authors. No work is so awesomely perfect that it doesn't need a second pair of eyes. You can't catch what's wrong if you don't know what's wrong. Your brain skips over mistakes, playing auto-editor when you read (because it knows what you meant), but a cold reader only sees the error. And weird stuff pops up in formatting. Don't beat yourself up over this point of professionalism. Even bestsellers with NY pubs are on the shelves with mistakes and many sets of eyes proofed them.

Rohn Federbush said...

Thanks, Nancy. That helps.

Rohn

Sheila S. said...

I'm taking my oldest granddaughter on a trip to the Canadian Rockies in September. Maybe I will get some inspiration being there. I'm not artistic but my granddaughter is...she takes wonderful photographs ...maybe I will try that! Thank you for the encouragement.
As always I am soooo excited for Rise by Moonlight! Maybe you will find that Max and Charlotte have enough left to say for at least one more book after this one. Just sayin'...