Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Uncovering the Magic of Covered Bridges


By Maureen Bonatch

Many of us might find ourselves looking for a little magic in our lives when we begin to tire from the same old same old and long for something…different. We might jump in the car, or take a cross-country trip to sightsee or explore something old, or new. Although sometimes, it can be as simple as looking a little closer to discover what we’re missing in our own ‘backyard’.



Covered Bridges

 

I’ve lived in the same area all my life, so it would seem that I’ve seen all there is to see, while actually I tend to take for granted, or overlook, what’s right under my nose. Granted, these places are not actually in my backyard, but often things not too far away if you’re looking.

Psst—check out this post when I discussed a visit to Buttermilk Falls.

Recently, I went on a long, backwoods drive with my hubby as he reminisced about the places he hadn’t visited for many years since his youth. While driving we came across a few of the covered bridges in our area. I’ve visited most of them at some point, but never thought much about it. They’ve always been there—obviously since they’re well over a hundred years old.

This prompted our discussion of how our county has 4 covered bridges, and Pennsylvania has 219 of the 1,600 remaining covered bridges—the most of any state. So what I might take for granted, many have never seen in person. Most covered bridges are fairly isolated which leaves them subject to vandalism, and many deteriorated from neglect and the high cost of restoration. 



The picture is of the Trusal bridge. The oldest in our county, built in 1870. Of the four in our county, the only one that can still be driven across the Thomas bridge—which we drove across that day, although I neglected to take a photo.

What’s Magical about a Covered Bridge?


Well, besides, hello? The Bridges of Madison County , if you’re looking for romance (which features the Roseman Covered Bridge in Iowa).

When I’m deep in the woods walking or biking, it usually starts my muse to wandering and contributes to many of my stories. 



Although I don’t write historical, when I look at these historic structures it inspires my imagination to make me feel as if I'm time-traveling back to a simpler time. Just like magic.

P.S. We also drove by a home that had once raised buffalo when my husband was young, and they still do. Although the buffalo were at the top of the hill so I couldn't get a picture, it was fun to see them from afar.

P.P.S. Although I’ve been to nearby Punxsutawney many times, and I've seen Phil’s home, I’ve never participated in the Groundhog Day festivities. Maybe one year I’ll add that to my list of exploring the magic available in my own backyard. Especially since Phil seems to be true to his word this year with an early spring.

What’s in Your Backyard?


Author Bio: Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. Find Maureen on her websiteFacebookTwitter

Be the first to know about Maureen’s book sales and new releases by following her on BookBub, Amazon and/or signing up for her newsletter

4 comments:

Diane Burton said...

So true, Maureen. We tend to travel afar when we could take a short drive and see something amazing. Through Pinterest, I discovered Only in Your State. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ You choose your state (of course, I chose Michigan) and every day, I get an email with things to see/do and where to eat. I've been to many of them since I grew up in Michigan and our 8 moves have been either to or from Michigan. Still I will find a restaurant I never heard of in my own backyard or a place to visit that's only a short drive away. BTW, did you know Michigan has a grand canyon?

Maureen said...

Wow Diane, that's pretty cool! I'll have to check that out for PA. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Did you hear there's a 12 word sentence you can tell your partner... that will induce deep emotions of love and impulsive appeal to you deep inside his heart?

That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, worship and care for you with his entire heart...

12 Words Will Trigger A Man's Desire Impulse

This impulse is so hardwired into a man's mind that it will drive him to try better than ever before to to be the best lover he can be.

Matter of fact, fueling this all-powerful impulse is absolutely binding to achieving the best possible relationship with your man that as soon as you send your man one of these "Secret Signals"...

...You will instantly notice him open his heart and soul for you in such a way he never expressed before and he'll identify you as the one and only woman in the world who has ever truly attracted him.

Jerome Samson said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) If you want to stop your divorce.
(10 If you want to divorce your husband.
(11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com