Sunday, March 1, 2020

An Author’s “Bible” by Diane Burton



I’m not sure how the term “bible” became connected to writing a series of stories. I certainly don’t mean to be irreverent.

When writing a series of connected stories, how do you keep the details straight? Our own Nancy Gideon is now writing the 15th book in her By Moonlight series. I used to think writing the 3rd or 4th in a series was hard. But the 15th?

Writers who use Scrivener have a built-in method of handling details. I tried Scrivener, but this MS Word girl found it too hard to change. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks. 😊


My first book Switched was a standalone. At first. But readers asked what happened next. Who am I to ignore readers? That’s when I learned how to note all those pesky details that sharp-eyed readers will catch if you don’t get them right. For instance, the spelling of names. Switched is a science fiction romance. The alien names are made up. (BTW, make sure you can pronounce those made-up names, too.)


While writing Switched, Too, the 2nd book in the series, I had to keep going back to the 1st book for the details. What a pain. Being a Word girl, I opened a new document and called it “details.” (Real original, right?) With Switched open, I noted each detail after the character’s name. (Maybe I should have done one of those character charts.)

Then, I needed to note places—all that world-building stuff. What planet did that character come from? Are people from the planet Tegror called Tegrors or Tegrorians?

What about methods of travel? Food, animals, plants? All part of world-building that needed to be written down and then easily found when needed.


I learned the hard way to keep track of details as I wrote the story, not (like Switched) after completion. Before starting a new story, I open a “details” document—whether it’s part of a series or not. Like my middle grade science fiction adventure. Since I already built a world in my Outer Rim series, I used that worldjust set the book on a different planet.

For my cozy mystery series (Alex O’Hara novels), I tried using a spreadsheet (Excel). It’s easier to locate characters, but I feel confined by the small squares. Until I come up with a better method, I'll keep using a Word doc for my details.

How do you keep details straight?

You can find my books on Amazon.

11 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maureen said...

I want to learn scrivener- even purchased and downloaded it- but so far have not had the patience to do so. I am terrible at tracking details. This is something I really need to work on in my writing- I'm too much of a panster.

Diane Burton said...

I have Scrivener, too. And I did try it. I even took a class to learn. It has many good features. I guess I'm not patient enough. Like Maureen, I'm more of a pantser. I want to get the story down and learning a new way takes too much time.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I love using Scrivener for plotting, but I haven't figured out how to use it for keeping track of details. Guess I'll have to sign up for a class!

Nancy Gideon said...

I'm TERRIBLE with charts and technical programs so I've had to develop my own awkward way of keeping track of details with character lists, chapter outlines that include details such as location, day of week, and even weather along w characters in the scene, thumbnail of the scene and I pull quotes and excerpts as I go through the final edit to use in later PR efforts. Geez, I guess I've made a template. the closest I've ever come to organized plot charting is One Note, which was user friendly but I didn't keep up with it.

Leah St. James said...

I love Scrivner for writing the manuscript but have barely touched the many features. I recently started a new project and am using the character profiles and setting descriptions built into the program. It's been a big help so far. With Scrivner you can switch from one document to the other without changing screens (opening and closing), which is really convenient for me. (You know, when I forget my main character's name, or the names/ages of her kids...things like that.) :-) Speaking of series, I've been wondering when your next Alex O'Hare novel is coming!

Diane Burton said...

Patty, the class I took was very hands-on. I think it was through RWA.

Diane Burton said...

Nancy, sounds like you & I have developed what works for us. I forgot to mention that I have a calendar on which I write location what happened each day in the story. Otherwise, I'd never keep track of the days of the week.

Diane Burton said...

As I mentioned above, whatever works for you. About Alex O'Hara: I'm finishing up a sci-fi romance, then I can get back to Alex's wedding. I can't wait to write that one!

Diana Stout said...

Like you, Diane, I dislike Scrivner immensely. For my seven novellas, I discovered I needed to create an Excel spreadsheet timeline of days and where everyone was, and then I have a MS Word document of everyone's details, along with the town, and anything else about their world. It works for me.

Great blog!

Jerome Samson said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) If you want to stop your divorce.
(10 If you want to divorce your husband.
(11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com