Saturday, December 19, 2020

How to Get the Most of Every Book You Read by Elizabeth Alsobrooks

 

If you just obtained a book, either by getting it from the library or purchasing a new copy, it’s pretty obvious that you either know and love the author’s work, or you previewed the book and found it interested you, making you want to read more. Folks who write and market books try to influence you with the enticing cover blurbs and attention-grabbing visuals on the cover. They know the first thing that makes you reach for the book is the cover and the first thing you’re going to do after examining it is flip the book over and read the blurb to get a sense of what the book is about.

But what should you, as the reader, do to get the most bang for your buck out of a book that you plan to invest a few hours of your valuable time into?

Most books begin with an opening hook, some action or situation or character introspection that draws you into the story, the setting, the world of the characters.  The author wants you to leave your mundane world behind and enter a new world that’s so exciting and intriguing you don’t want your adventure to end. If it’s a series, they want you to anxiously search out other books in the series and watch for new entries.

For you to enjoy this adventure as thoroughly as possible, there are some things you, as the reader, can do to make it a more interactive experience. The first thing you should do is ask questions. It doesn’t have to be a mystery for you to ask provocative questions and expect to discover the answers. All the best writers know to feed your vicarious appetite foreshadowing, clues and hints of what may happen or why something has or might happen. It keeps you turning pages, seeking the answer to your questions of why or why not. Why did a character do what they did? What is it they want? Are they in it alone or do they have a partner in crime? What are they willing to do to get what they want? Are they good or bad, and is it possible to be both? Seriously, don’t tell me you’ve never rooted for the bad guy to win. That’s a well developed character, who makes for good reading.

Pay attention to who the characters are and what other people say about them, what they do to or for them, and why. In each chapter you will discover some consequence or circumstance, perhaps some new characters.   Pay attention so you don’t miss the importance. Sometimes the clues are subtle and you may discover something and say, oh, that’s right, she never liked them, but the author never explained why. Now I understand why she was so rude to him. But be careful, an author also throws some red herrings. They might have purposely misled you only to surprise you with some newly discovered bit of information, some scene or event that further clarifies motive or influence.

It’s fine to analyze a character, either comparing them to someone you know, or a type of person you can imagine. It’s perfectly understandable to psychoanalyze them too. Why do they act a certain way, let people treat them badly or submit to an abusive situation? If you don’t try to relate even in an I would never do that way with characters and their behaviors, you won’t get nearly as much from your story. A good writer will pull you into a story and let you live it through the character’s eyes. A good reader learns to suspend their disbelief and enjoy the adventure, taking the good with the bad.

If you’re reading a literary work, a bit more intellectual in theme, as opposed to a strictly genre-driven story, you should notice and be aware or symbolism and underlying themes such as making the right choice in a bad situation, or how to grow as a person whatever your circumstances, how the choices we make now influence our future. You will get much more from the book if you’re aware of the meaning behind the actual words. It takes reading between the lines to a whole new dimension, and it’s intended to.

I hope this has given you a small insight into how to become a better reader and how to get the most out of every book you read.

Read on!

 

 

 

 


5 comments:

Nightingale said...

When I read a good book, I submerge myself into the story. When I finish, I feel like I'm surfacing from beneath deep water. I regret leaving the world and the characters who've become real to me. Excellent post, Elizabeth.
.

Nancy Gideon said...

If I'm not totally engaged in what I'm reading, lately I find myself skimming over sections to get to the 'good stuff' instead of savoring every word the way I should be. I find I have less patience and give the author less time to hook me into the plot and love the characters. In only a couple of cases have I struggled to later find it worth the work. Too many books, too little time, perhaps. A great book has you rooting between the words for "more" and when it ends it's like someone you loved moved away.

Maureen said...

Thanks for the tips!

Mary Morgan said...

Interesting post, Elizabeth! Thanks for sharing.

Diane Burton said...

Ditto what Linda & Nancy said. I'm reading a military/spy/SWAT team fiction with more detail than I like. From previous books by this author I know everything will come together for a big bang, so I'm willing to skip some descriptions. It's different from what I usually read. But I'm more aware of red herrings and clues. It's definitely taking me out of my comfort zone.