Thursday, December 10, 2020

MIXING PARANORMAL ROMANCE WITH SCIFI - DOES IT WORK?

 

A reader asked me the other day why I loved writing SciFi romance, and I had to think about it for a moment. Then it hit me. The reason I love writing SciFi romance is I can combine the science fiction background with a slew of paranormal elements thrown in.

See, while I love the science fiction aspect, I am also hopelessly addicted to paranormal romance. Christine Feehan’s Vampire Carpathian series… Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter’s…. Karen Marie Moning Fever series… Lora Leigh’s Breeds… oh, boy, I could go on and on.

So, who’s saying an alien can’t be a vampire… a psychic… a wizard… an empath… or a shapeshifter? How about bringing in a dragon or even a Demi-god? They’re aliens, for stars sake… the galaxy is the limit! 

In that vein, I’ve created my latest SciFi romance series with a paranormal twist. While the premise is based loosely on the Ancient Alien theory that ET’s have visited us in the past, I wanted to take that idea and add a bunch of goodies to it.

What I did was work on the theory from Zecharia Sitchin’s The Earth Chronicles that stipulates ancient astronauts came to Earth and needed laborers to mine gold for their planet, Nibiru. The inhabitants of Nibiru, the Anunnaki, decided that their genes mixed with Homo erectus genes would make excellent slaves to replace the miners. Thus, Homo sapiens was born.

I took that concept and made the hybrids into something more—giving them paranormal abilities (I’m tired of movies showing the aliens with the powers. Hah. In my stories, the Earthlings are the one with the powers, not the aliens).

My first hero is an empath, the second a shapeshifter, the third is a psychic, the fourth a vampire, and the last one will be a wizard (or a Demi-god. Not sure which one yet). So far, in the first book, I’ve expanded on the empath’s ability. Not only can he feel and experience emotions from those around him, but he can also manipulate their emotions in return.

In my second book, I’m working on the shapeshifter. His extra powers are not only shapeshifting into a wolf (which he favors above all others), but he can change his DNA at the cellular level and transform into another person. He can even harden his skin to become bullet proof!

Not to be outdone, the heroines of these stories discover they are hybrids as well and learn to use their powers throughout the book. The heroine in my second book even turns into a dragon (see what I mean when I say I can add loads of goodies to my novels?). I just love spending my day creating these stories and adding a paranormal element to them.

My first book is titled Alien Legacy: The Empath and is FREE on Kindle Unlimited. But, as a bonus, for the month of December the paperback on sale at 40% off! Instead of $14.99, it’s available for $8.99! 

Here’s the cover and a short taste:



The vision of the woman he just met consumed him. Rich sable hair was swept into an intricate knot at the top, leaving tendrils to frame her lovely face in soft wisps. Her eyes were the same captivating color as her hair.

She had a voluptuous figure, something her suit couldn’t hide. Ben had mourned over the years the modern concept of overly skinny feminine beauty. He missed the days when women were proud of their generous curves. His mouth dried at the sight of Julienne’s luscious, ripe breasts that strained under the buttons of a silky, dusky-rose blouse. The black, single button jacket she wore paired nicely with the tight skirt. Long, supple legs with trim ankles were shown to perfection in three-inch heels.

God bless whoever invented high heels.

Her skin was creamy and smooth, with a thin suggestion of perfume that teased, hinting at sensual delights. He’d give anything to see if she was the kind of woman who reveled in lacy underwear. Just the thought of that woman in a thong was enough to make his body stir to attention. Thank God he hadn’t taken the suit jacket off in the building.

As he watched her out of the corner of his eye, something flashed low, hard, and deep inside. He’d never had such a strong reaction to anyone—to any woman—like that before. His logical brain fought with his empathic senses to touch her. To pull her into a strong embrace and inhale her sweet scent. The craving had been so intense; he stepped back and turned his back on her like a freakin’ coward to protect himself.

During the ensuring conversations, his fluctuating, wild emotions made it hard to focus. Not only on what was said, but on the mixed feelings swirling around the room. He didn’t have to be an empath to see he’d pissed her off with his rudeness. But what choice did he have? This wasn’t the time to explore any attraction he had for her. He had other things to concentrate on. That was why he “pushed” a suggestion to Claude to leave the building.

To be honest, meeting her was a surprise. He didn’t care about the bank, Murduk, Inc., or finding the man Michael told him he needed to look for. Every instinct screamed he go back and wipe that disgusted sneer off her lips.

Preferably with his mouth.

Rubbing the bridge of his nose under the sunglasses, he let out a disgruntled sigh. Good God of Love, I’m so screwed.



I’d love for you to read Ben and Julienne’s love story. I can’t wait to hear what you think of me mixing the paranormal into a SciFi romance!


5 comments:

Maureen said...

I love the paranormal element and the excerpt was red hot!

Keri Kruspe said...

Thanks, Maureen!

Nancy Gideon said...

I so enjoy a paranormal that mixes it up!! It keeps the genre fresh and fun.

Diane Burton said...

Whoa! Is it hot in here or what? Great mix of the two genres. Keeps things interesting.

Mary Morgan said...

Oh spicy!! I love the twist of the Earthlings with powers, Keri!