Saturday, September 4, 2021

Finding Inspiration in Unusual Places

 

 By Maureen Bonatch 

I don’t care very much for sports. If invited to a football game I'm honest and admit that I'm only there for the snacks. Most sports, except for hockey. 

Hockey is the only sport that can maintain my interest and I have some understanding of the game. 

My daughters played hockey for a while in their youth. Part of me was glad that they developed other interests before they were old enough to allow checking in the game (checking is a defensive technique which usually includes ramming into players on the other team).

                                                      My girls during their 'hockey career'
    

Over the years my hubby and I have enjoyed many professional hockey games. Some of the professional hockey players were simply amazing in their skill, speed, and grace on the ice. 

As someone who cannot ice skate well—mostly when it comes to stopping, or I should say, not being able to stop without the help of a wall—watching them glide across the ice as if they had wings fills me with awe. 


                                                                  Me & the hubs...

The game was magical to watch. 

 Which got me to thinking… 


What if some of the players had paranormal abilities? Would there be restrictions to make it a fair game? I envisioned that shifters or werewolves protecting the star players and thought that vampires might have the best speed on the ice. 

But what about witches? Couldn’t they use a spell to help ensure they won the game? Would spelling be forbidden to make it a fair game? 

 Hexes, Highballs & Hockey was Born 


                                                        Get Your Copy Today Right Here.

 How can one tiny spell create such a mess? 

 Hi, I’m Marissa Hale and I’ve spelled up some trouble. 

 You see, I live in Boca, Florida. Most of the time all the mishmash of paranormal play nice in the sandbox—except when it’s an ice rink.

Of course I’d be the one to test the boundaries of the “no spelling” rule at the hockey arena when my friend, Grace, begged me to go to a game. My careless spell to conceal the nacho cheese disaster, which happened when a big blob landed on her treasured jersey, caused more trouble than the wrath I avoided from my hockey obsessed friend. 

Due to the ridiculous rule, Grace inadvertently gets blamed and tossed into the arena’s jail for illicit magic…and I might have accidentally spelled one of the players. 

When I try to make things right, my sleuthing skills uncover secrets, and more trouble than I bargained for. I might need more than my chatty cat and charmed cocktails to solve this mystery…

Where Do You Find Inspiration?


Just a small-town girl, Maureen Bonatch leads a double life. She lives in a magical world as a novelist, and as a nurse leader in reality. Maureen’s first novella was a paranormal romance published when blogs were a new-fangled thing. She’s since changed her focus to writing paranormal cozy mysteries as M.L. Bonatch and urban fantasy as Maureen Bonatch. 

While she’s not busy writing or doing nurse-things, she’s a mom to her twin daughters, bicycling in the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby, doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, and dancing as much as possible. She believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and that caffeine and wine are essential for survival.

 Follow M.L. Bonatch all through cyberspace! 

4 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Your "charming" plots always have me laughing out loud. You've done it again.

Diane Burton said...

Sounds like a cute and funny story. Got my copy. Baseball is my game. I never thought of incorporating that into a story. Now you've got my mind working--and I haven't even finished my 1st cup of coffee.

Mary Morgan said...

Enjoyed your post and pictures, Maureen! I'm more a baseball fan. Perhaps it all had to do with all those softball games I played as a child in our court. I still love the feel of a leather glove and tossing the ball around. Your post reminded me of the game of Quidditch from the Harry Potter series. All the best with Hexes, Highballs, and Hockey! Love the cover!

Maureen said...

Thank you! Oh I love Harry Potter!
I don't think hubs noticed at all when I'd zone out during the hockey game while thinking about the potential for the paranormal players! lol