Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Happy Book Birthday! by Diane Burton

 


We often talk about how quickly time flies, how I can't believe it's September already. Here's a better one. I can't believe my first book was published 20 years ago. Yep, 20 years--back in the day when you sent a paper manuscript to a publisher, crossed your fingers and hoped for "the call." After ten years writing, submitting, getting rejections, I finally sold a book. That book, Switched, was published 20 years ago last week. 

When I wrote Switched, I was so tired of playing by the rules, writing what I thought publishers wanted. Oh, some of them did--they'd just bought something similar. Sorry. When I was feeling down, a crazy idea zipped through my mind. (Muses tell you weird things, then dare you to write it.) The crazy idea was that aliens kidnapped a woman from Earth by mistake. They really wanted a super model.

If I'd been that woman, I would've been royally p.o.'d. She was. First, she thinks it's all a joke played by her brothers and his nerdy friends. Or that that somehow they left her at a Star Trek-type convention. How would you explain it, if you'd been beamed aboard a starship? 

That book was so much fun to write. I could be silly and smartalecky through my heroine. Now, the strict straight-laced captain made Mr. Spock look like a party guy. What a great contrast. The farther into the story I got the more fun I had. Who knew someone would like it enough to buy it? Who knew that book would lead to two more? Contrary to a program by our own Nancy Gideon, I didn't plan my series, I sort of fell into it. When I finished those three books, I was so sad to leave the characters. But when a series is done, it's done.

In the 20 years since Switched was published, I've had thirteen more novels published. It was a great beginning to a career. Switched was also my first book self-published after the publisher returned my rights. 


Blurb

Kidnapped by aliens? By mistake?

Wise-cracking mechanic Jessie Wyndom gets the surprise of her life when she's accidentally transported aboard an Alliance of Planets starship. Then, she learns an identical twin who was raised on an alien planet has taken her place on Earth. They are victims of a scientific experiment that separated Terran twins before birth. Jessie doesn't believe it. This is all a gag perpetrated by her brother and his nerdy friends.

 Years of discipline enables Captain Marcus Viator to maintain the austere, emotionless persona prized on his planet, Serenia. Until he meets the bold, impertinent Jessie. She must go back to Earth before she disrupts his well-organized life. When he tries to return his unwilling visitor, he discovers the ship has left Earth's orbit--supposedly at his command. When more sabotage crops up, Marcus and Jessie must work together to protect the crew and themselves. As their attraction grows, treachery and violence force them into decisions that could separate them forever.

Switched is available at most online retailers for 99 cents.

Amazon ~ Amazon UK ~ B&N ~ Kobo ~ iTunes ~ Smashwords


15 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

LOVE this book! So unique and filled with snarky humor. And contrarily, Di, my best books were the ones that happened without a plan i.e. the first three of my "By Moonlight" series. Sometimes you just have to throw out the rules and run with it. So glad you did with this series!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Nancy. It seems like the best books are the ones you write for fun. Just writing, no "rules", no pressure. That's what I'm trying to do as I get back into writing again.

Maureen said...

Wow 20 years! So much has changed in publishing since then - but one thing hasn't and that's a good story! Congrats- this story sounds awesome!

Nightingale said...

My first was published in 2012. It was a taboo erotic romance. I never thought it would get published! Switched sounds like a fun read. Those first books, when we wrote for the joy of it, are special.

Jessica E. Subject said...

A great story! And congratulations on 20 years published!!

I agree that we can't always control where our muse takes us, and often those are the most fun books to write.

Mary Morgan said...

Wow! Congratulations on twenty years! And a very Happy Book Birthday, Diane!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Maureen. So much *has* changed in publishing! They key--as in life--is to go with the flow. Being flexible works.

Diane Burton said...

Linda, you're so right. The joy of writing that first book.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Jessica. A Muse can be contrary, yet inspiring.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Mary.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What a cool story idea. Congrats on your book birthday.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

You have had so much success as a writer! Congratulations.

This year has gone by so fast.

Teresa

THE ONLY TRUE HACKER IN THE WORLD ® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Susan.

Diane Burton said...

T. Powell, thanks. It's been a long road--good times and the difficult ones.