Monday, April 4, 2022

10 Movies on the Must Watch, and then Watch Again, and Again, List

By Maureen Bonatch

Scruff getting ready to watch TV


I rarely re-read a book. Not that I didn’t enjoy the story and hope to revisit the characters again, but more that I have so many other books that I want to read. Lucky for me, many books come in a series. That way, I spend more time with the characters in a new story.


I also love movies. But I have more luck finding good books than finding a good film. There are some movies that I have enjoyed so much that I can’t help but watch them if I come across them while channel surfing—and I’m not the only one who loves a good movie. 


I asked around, and have listed others  in addition to mine that are hard to pass up no matter how busy or tired we might be. I also asked what makes these movies irresistible. Here are 10—in no particular order of preference.

  1. Overboard

This wasn’t one I initially thought of, but it is one I love to rewatch. When asked, it is the riches to rags and then back to riches that draws this viewer into the story repeatedly. 


  1. Hope Floats

This one was listed as a favorite, and Where the Heart Is, as a ‘sappy, emotional drama.’ 

  1. Urban Cowboy

The story, and music, draw this movie watcher back to the screen when this comes on.

  1. Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas

These crime dramas are always a favorite of my hubby, but I enjoy them. Goodfellas is especially one of my favorites. And I’m not the only one. We had friends over one evening. She put this on and was mesmerized until the end, even though she’d watched this many times and despite half the group falling asleep long before the end.

  1. Pride and Prejudice 

The complexity of the characters draws this viewer in to watch multiple versions of this movie, show and re-read the books time and again. 

  1. Bridesmaids

This movie was chosen by several viewers (including me). It was touted as a good comedy and friendship story. Me? It makes me laugh every single time. There’s nothing like a good comedy!


  1. The Holiday

This is one of my additions. This fun romance involves switching places for totally different lives and finding love at Christmas. Romance movies aren’t usually my go-to, but I can’t get enough of The Holiday.

  1. Shawshank Redemption

This was a favorite of several viewers, including me. This story of friendships,and overcoming adversity gets me every time. It is—of course—a Stephen King story. (If I included all the Stephen King movies I love to watch and rewatch, that might fill the entire list. I’m sure you’d like a little variety.)

  1. Bram Stoker’s Dracula

This is one of my favorite—wait for it—love stories! Yes, I’m warped that way because to me, it’s a love story. I watch this movie at least once a year. Keanu might’ve drawn me in to watch it the first time, but the true (somewhat creepy) love interest is Dracula. It shows how true love surpasses time.( And must be blind if you get a gander at Dracula.)

  1. Practical Magic

This movie is one of my favorites, and one of the other participants also picked it. I love a sister story with magical powers. It’s why I keep rewatching the television series Charmed again and again. (Perhaps it’s because I have three sisters? Unfortunately, so far, we’ve not acquired magic powers. Still hey, there is always paranormal women’s fiction telling us that our magic just might show up later in life! Psst…scroll to the bottom if you’re interested in some paranormal and cozy reads!)


Maybe you’ve heard of some of these, and perhaps others might now be on your to-be-watched list next time you settle in for a good movie.


How about you? Do you have any favorite go-to movies that you can’t watch enough?



Just a small-town girl, Maureen Bonatch leads a double life. She lives in a magical world as a novelist, and as a nurse leader in reality. Maureen’s first novella was a paranormal romance published when blogs were a new-fangled thing. She’s since changed her focus to writing paranormal cozy mysteries as M.L. Bonatch and urban fantasy as Maureen Bonatch. 


While she’s not busy writing or doing nurse-things, she’s a mom to her twin daughters, bicycling in the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby, doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, and dancing as much as possible. She believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and that caffeine and wine are essential for survival.


 Follow M.L. Bonatch all through cyberspace! 

 Amazon page    BookBub Facebook Goodreads Newsletter


Keep the conversation going by joining my Facebook Group right HERE!


7 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

I've watched Shawshank Redemption so many times! Same with Contact. Some newer movies that I've found myself watching repeatedly are Space Sweepers, Love and Monsters, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

Maureen said...

Oh- I'll have to check those ones out to see if I have more to add to my list!

Tena Stetler said...

I've watched most of your list and enjoyed them, some more than others, Practical Magic and Hope Floats a couple I watch over and over.
One of the new ones and it won best picture in the academy awards. Coda. Is a funny, heart-warming story. I've watched it a couple of times already. LOL Maureen, loved your post. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy Gideon said...

My list is extensive and widely varied (I'm a movieaholic!) but mainstays are The Great Escape w Steve McQueen, Thor:Ragnorok, Love Actually, The Magnificent Seven (in any version!) and anything with Jeremy Renner or Jason Statham.

Nancy Gideon said...

And poorly dubbed Kung Fu movies!!

Diane Burton said...

I reread fav books and rewatch movies. Charade is the 1st one to come to mind. Matrix (the whole series), Star Wars (the original 3 and the last 3), Star Trek: The Voyage Home plus the reboot (1st 2). Haven't seen it recently but Wait Until Dark is so good. Right now, I'm hooked on the Agatha Raisin series and My Life is Murder series, both on Acorn.

Maureen said...

Oh more movies to add to my to be watched list- thank you!