Thursday, April 7, 2022

It's hard to say goodbye ~ Writing THE END by Jessica E. Subject

 

The End is Near

Writing THE END

I'm writing a story called RET right now, but lately, it's been hard to sit my butt down and write. Why? There are many reasons, but the biggest one is that I'm getting close to the end of the book. And that means I'm going to have to say goodbye soon. 

I always have this issue when I write any book, but with RET, it seems even harder. This isn't just the end of a book, but the end of the series. I'll be saying goodbye to the Kaddim Brothers and their family, and to the space racer team, ORIXA, pushing them out of my thoughts for good. I've had these characters in my head for over two years now. Yes, VAWN released in August of 2021, but the whole family occupied a space in my mind well before then, when I was still writing my Shifter Towers series. I'm truly finding it tough and very sad.

What Feels like The End is often the Beginning

At the same time, I'm plotting out the first book in my new series. I'm not going to say much about it, except I have ideas for five books in this series already. They're all something new, but at the same time, they're very familiar for me. I'm so excited.

So, while I try to reign in my excitement for this new series, and deal with my sadness to finish writing RET, here's a teaser from the story for you that I shared last Friday for #FridayKiss.

Sitting up, I remembered coming back to have a drink with Ilam, but everything after that was fuzzy. Obviously I hadn’t stopped after one drink.  I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the stream of sunlight shining in my face. Wait, had I tried to kiss Ilam? Friday Kiss from RET, Keyword: Sunshine

If you haven't read the other Kaddim Brothers stories, you can find them here:

Vawn (Kaddim Brothers book one) by Jessica E. Subject  Genj (Kaddim Brothers book two) by Jessica E. Subject


Happy reading!








8 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Oh, I'm familiar with that pain. Leaving a series behind is like having family or best friends move away. They're still around but they're not in your daily life anymore. That said, looking forward to learning more about this NEW project that will soon be your obsession.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh Nancy, that's exactly what it feels like! And right now I'm at the point where I know it's going to happen, but I'm trying to prolong it. LOL Thank you!!

Maureen said...

It is hard to leave favorite characters- but fun to learn about new ones and not have to remember details from prior books so I don't mess them up, lol!

Jessica E. Subject said...

LOL Maureen, that is so true!

Tena Stetler said...

Saying goodbye to a great series and amazing characters is always hard. Been there done that, but in some cases, the characters came back with another story. A Demon's Witch Series started out with only three books. The sixth book was released last year. LOL
Same thing happened with A Witch's Journey Series. Started out with the original book and a sequel.Last April book number 4 was published. I guess I'm not good a saying goodbye. LOL Yet, I've started a new book for the Jelly Bean series. So I'm off and running, but borrowed a few characters from Meringue Snowflake Magic for the all new Christmas Cookie Series. LOL Have a great upcoming weekend.

Diane Burton said...

I've been there, too, Jessica. Right now, I'm writing the last book in 2 series, I think. With one series, I have a couple of novellas planned to stay in that town. With the other, I think this is the end. I don't want it to be. But never say never, right? I know what you mean about not wanting to say good-bye. But, you have the right idea by planning the next series. Good luck!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Tena, it's definitely hard! I always say I might go back to write another story in a past series, but I never do.

Have a great weekend as well!

Jessica E. Subject said...

"I think" LOL Doesn't sound like you're sure, Diane. LOL Thank you!