Saturday, May 7, 2022

Motherly moments in sci-fi romance


Hello! Since tomorrow is Mother's Day in North America, I thought I would share some mother moments from a couple of my sci-fi romances.

I like writing about families in my series, but the Kaddim Brothers weren't the first family I wrote about. Though the books were published later, the first series I wrote that included a family was Galactic Defenders. Lalia (Bryce) is mother to Katrina (Jager), and their relationship is shown throughout the series. Here's a snippet from BRYCE (Galactic Defenders book one):


“Mom, what’s going on?” Katrina slapped her hands on the table. “What were those ugly things in the backyard? What did they do to Dad?”

Lindsay tucked memories of her first love away. She turned in her chair and gazed across the table to her daughter who had been adopted by Quinn the day of her birth. After the divorce, her ex-husband only showed up on Katrina’s birthdays. And, over all those years, Lindsay had tried to keep her heritage from Katrina. What child wanted to know her mother came from another planet? Or could keep the fact a secret? She refused to have her daughter taken by children’s services because they believed her an unfit mother. But, after today, her daughter needed to know the truth. “The Erebus invaded my home planet of Hemera. I saw my parents murdered, and then, before I could comprehend the loss, the attack on the planet, my handler whisked me away to Earth. She didn’t survive the flight, so I am the last of my kind.”

Another series I wrote about a family is my Alien Next Door series. Rachel (Alien Adoration) is mother to Adam (Alien Admirer) and Angela (Alien Attraction). Also, Sera (Alien Admirer) has two children of her own when she meets Adam. Here's a snippet showing the struggles of dating as a single mom from ALIEN ADMIRER (Alien Next Door book two):


Sera inhaled, catching the musky scent of sex still heavy in the air. That and the desire-inducing smell of masculinity coming from the man whose chest she lay on. She couldn’t help the smile tugging at her lips. Instead of her fantasies to keep her company, she’d spent the night with her dream come true. Adam. Perfect in every way. She hadn’t expected to find a man who both satisfied her, and treated Melody and Zach so well.

Shit! The kids. What time is it?

Seven a.m. glared at her in bright red letters.

She gasped and shot upright. What have I done? Tossing the covers off, she scrambled out of bed. Melody and Zach would be up soon. They couldn’t find her naked, in bed with a man. With Adam, of all people.

Yanking open her pajama drawer, she pulled out a cotton shirt and shorts set and slipped them on. She gazed at the man who’d rocked her world. Her kids didn’t need to know about him spending the night. They already adored Adam and wanted him around more. If they discovered him there, they’d have him and Sera down the aisle after one night of sex—earthmoving, mind-blowing sex. She couldn’t let them get hurt because of her own desires. Heck, she didn’t even know if the previous night was a one-time thing.

To all of the mothers and motherly influences out there, I wish you a day of love and appreciation! Happy Mother's Day!

6 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Wonderful post to fit this Mom's Day! Has me thinking about my own . . .

Maureen said...

Great post! Happy Mother's Day to all!

Diane Burton said...

Love the post, Jess. Mother's Day is bittersweet for me. I miss my mom who's been gone for 15 years. Yet, it's wonderful to celebrate my own motherly accomplishments. I have 2 wonderful children who make me so proud. They, in turn, are terrific parents to their children. Happy Mother's Day.

Nightingale said...

I have 2 sons, and I am never more proud than on Mother's Day. As Diane said, I still miss my mother after many years, too. Enjoyed your post. Poor Mom had better hustle in that scene!

Tena Stetler said...

Great post. Happy Mothers Dat!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, and hugs to you all!