Sunday, May 1, 2022

Outer Range, Longmire, Cowboys & Aliens by Diane Burton

credit: IMDB

Have you checked out the series Outer Range on Amazon Prime? Two reasons why I did--Josh Brolin and science fiction. For years, I was never crazy about westerns, but then Longmire came on television. Wyoming and Robert Taylor. What's not to like? 

In another way, Outer Range reminds me of the movie Cowboys & Aliens--British James Bond in the old west? Okay, Daniel Craig as a gunslinger, trying to save the world from aliens. Outer Range doesn't have aliens . . . yet. But it does have a mysterious black hole (Wikipedia calls it a void, better word).

Royal Abbott (Josh Brolin's character) is a rancher, trying to hang onto his land (from a rival) and keep his family together. Before the series begins, his daughter-in-law disappeared. That's the first mention of something mysterious, but not the last. Like good writers, they dribble out clues and keep the viewers questioning what the heck is going on? 

In the first episode, Royal Abbott finds the black void in the middle of an enormous field on his property. How did no one ever see this huge hole in the ground? Ranchers ride around their land, checking fences, etc. This void just appears one day? Call me a skeptic.

Then there's a drifter, Autumn, who camps out on Abbott land. What's her role?

As you can tell, I'm trying to suspend disbelief. Yet, I'm intrigued enough to keep watching. The writers are doing a great job dropping startling hints right before the cut to the credits. Josh Brolin has played in a great variety of roles since his debut in The Goonies to The Avengers' Thanos. He's a perfect choice for a Wyoming rancher. 

My favorite character, right now, is Royal's wife Cecelia (played by Lillie Taylor). She looks like a rancher's wife, weather-beaten, haggard, a woman who's stood by her man through good times and bad, whose strong religious faith has carried her through the very bad times. In the last episode, Royal proclaims how much he depends on her. I was glad to see that. Too often, older men drop the woman who's stood by him and replace her with a new model. Royal may be the backbone of the family, but Cecelia is its heart.

If you haven't already, check out Outer Range. It has enough whoo-whoo to intrigue paranormal fans.


 


 

8 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

I don't have Amazon Prime. But if I see it anywhere else, I'll have to check it out! Hope you're doing well, Diane!

Nightingale said...

I don't have Amazon Prime either, so I doubt I'll get to see it. Sounds interesting and like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for introducing us to the series.

Tena Stetler said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Burton said...

Jessica & Linda, I doubt it will be anywhere else, not with Amazon's ownership of the show. If I see another show that's similar, I'll post it.

Diane Burton said...

Tena, let me know what you think.

Nancy Gideon said...

I'm loving this show! Great cast, great pacing and dialog . . . and James Brolin (was a huge fan of his dad when he roared in on a motorcycle in Marcus Welby MD!). And smart. Had just watched Ancient Aliens with a batch of other writers and this has the same WooWoo set against harsh reality. I'm liking it. A western with paranormal can't go wrong in my book (or in my books . . . hmmmmm).

Diane Burton said...

Great response, Nancy. I haven't tried Ancient Aliens yet. On my watchlist. I'd forgotten James Brolin was in Marcus Welby. Yeah, I remember him. Josh has the same charisma.

Maureen said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out- thanks!