Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Happy Healthy Me 2023

 By Maureen Bonatch



It’s that time of year again when we’re all overwhelmed with commercials for diet and exercise. As if we can make up for the last few weeks—or the last year—of overindulging in one month. 


But often, we fall for it, or at least I do. Because I see the bright, shiny New Year in front of me, full of possibilities. Often that’s enough to achieve the goals we might’ve put off for a while, while other times, it’s just setting us up for disappointment. 


Being that I’ve fallen into the latter over the last year, I’ve decided to simplify my goals a bit this year. Sure I still have an elaborate spreadsheet (or several) for my author goals, but I have at least broken those down into good, better, and the best goals so I can adjust accordingly.


But as far as my personal goals, I’m looking at the year with a different mindset.

Is This Healthy for Me?

Diets? I’ve tried almost all of them. I’ve had plenty of time to do so since I’ve been on a diet since I’ve been about thirteen years old. Of course, now, when I look back over the years, the goal weight I might have now might be what I weighed when I was on a diet then! 


Instead, I plan to look at what I’m planning to look at what I want to eat or drink and think, “Is this healthy for me?” 


That’s not to say that I’m giving up chocolate (hey- I’m no quitter!), but I’ll be more mindful when I do indulge, rather than eating mindlessly. This is more about awareness because when I eat healthier, I feel better.

Healthy Habits

Since being healthy isn’t just about eating, I’ll be sure to look at other habits and try to make them more healthy such as:


  • How long have I been sitting? Maybe I’m due for a short walk or a stretch.

  • What time am I getting up tomorrow? Maybe I should try to go to bed earlier.

  • How much caffeine have I had already? Maybe I should have herbal tea or more water instead.

  • Is worrying going to change this? Maybe I should put that worry into ‘the parking lot’ and focus on other priorities.

Happiness

Happiness is my ultimate goal and I know that by taking care of my body and mind that I’ll feel better and thus should be happier. Other things I’ll consider include to:


  • Reprioritize or eliminate tasks that won’t help me meet my author goals.

  • Break the cycle of negative thoughts, and avoid negative people and situations which can infect me with more negativity.

  • Make time for things that may be completely unproductive, but make me happy.

Happy New Year! I Hope 2023 Brings You Much Joy!


If you want to read more about making healthy author goals, then check out my article (here) for Indie Author Magazine about setting healthy Indie Author Goals.


Speaking of joy, here are some book freebies and sales to fill up your kindle with some cozy goodness.


Happy New Year Cozy Mystery Sales Event:

https://books.bookfunnel.com/happynewyearcozymystery/g27769n6gh



Free Cozy Mysteries for January:

https://books.bookfunnel.com/cozy_mystery_obsessed/3cz91mwf36



M.L. Bonatch believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and caffeine and wine are essential for survival. When she’s not doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, she’s a mom to twin daughters, exploring the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby and dancing as much as possible. She writes cozy paranormal mysteries and paranormal romance as  M.L. Bonatch, urban fantasy, and other genres as Maureen Bonatch.

Find Maureen on her website, Facebook & Twitter

 

Be the first to know about Maureen’s book sales and new releases by following her on BookBub, Amazon and/or signing up for her newsletter




9 comments:

Keri Kruspe said...

Love the post, Maureen. I always need hints on how to live a better, healthier life. Especially since I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Thank you!

Nancy Gideon said...

Here's to beig realistic in 2023 - in a good way. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses and addressing them equally.

Keri, take control with a balanced approach. What can I easily live without, what must I have to survive. Thankfully Type 2 is filled with choices and options. I've had lots of success getting myself in balance with Weight Watchers (especially the new programs that offer so many choices and can tailor a plan to Type 2!) I'm even off to the gym this morning (now I've said it to the Universe and HAVE to go!). The main thing is making it a part of your life that you control not that has you feeling angry or helpless. You got this, girl!!

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Maureen. Getting up and moving around is good advice for writers. Or anyone who sits around too long. We get comfortable and hours go by. Not good for our health. Thanks for making us more aware of what we need to do.

Nancy, thanks for your advice to Keri. Balance is a great word for us.

Maureen said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies! Great advice here and looks like you're all on the way to a healthier 2023! I've used Weight Watchers in the past- and it's worked well when I actually follow the plan, lol.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Happy New Year, Maureen! Health and happiness are definitely great objectives for the new year!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Just looking at the healthy approach is wise, I think! Happy New Year!

Maureen said...

A happy, healthy New Year to all!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I am a large person with multiple endocrine problems who tried to hate myself thin for 33 years. When I see people as thin as you are believing they need to lose weight (or, really, anyone believing they need to lose weight) it reinforces how brainwashed we all are by advertising. I got rid of cable TV years ago and wouldn't have it back for anything.
The persistent belief that the BMI scale is a measure of health (it was created as an actuarial tool for insurance agents) and that larger people are all "out of control" and constantly "eating mindlessly," are "lazy" and "slovenly" and most of all "ugly" is so destructive. Not everyone was meant to be thin, and chronic dieting actually harms the metabolism and promotes weight gain.
People don't fail at dieting, diets fail people. The multi-billion dollar diet industry thrives because of this reality. Weight reduction diets only work long-term for approximately five percent of people who engage in such practices. For most people, the weight they lost is regained and then some. Over time, it becomes more and more difficult to lose the desired weight.
As someone who will never be thin unless I become critically ill (and maybe not even then) it saddens me to see that people have not yet overcome their beliefs that the worst thing a person can possibly be is fat.

Maureen said...

Hi, Ornery Owl! Thank you for your comment. I agree with most of what you've shared, so I'm hoping to focus on being healthy and not 'dieting.' I hope you have a wonderful 2023!