Sunday, January 1, 2023

Happy New Year! by Diane Burton


 

Here we are welcoming 2023. Will it be a good year or one like 2020? Let's hope not. 

At this time every year, we tend to look back at the previous year and look forward to the new one. It's no wonder that the Roman god Janus (January) is associated with the new year. He's often shown with two faces.

Looking back, was 2022 a good year for you? Not so much for me. I've had worse (e.g., the aforementioned 2020) and better (too numerous to mention specifics). My productivity on the writing side in 2022 was zilch. I forgot (or ignored) the axiom of writers: BICHOK. What's that, you say? Butt In Chair, Hands On Keyboard. That's the only way writers are productive. 

On the other hand, 2022 marked my 50th wedding anniversary. Yeah, 50 years with the same man. Many of my friends already surpassed that. Yet, many people don't reach that milestone. My parents almost did, but my dad died four months before. As a writer of relationship stories, I'm glad I found my happy-ever-after. Not that it was all rainbows and unicorns. But then, what marriage is? 

Enough looking back. New Year's Day is a time to plan, a time to make resolutions (that most of us don't keep) or promises to do better. I consider the new year as a time to begin again. I started writing almost 30 years ago. Many of those manuscripts will never see the light of day. They were practice. My first published book was a science fiction romance. I've written several more in that genre. Also, some cozy mysteries and suspense. A few short stories, some novellas, and enough full-length novels to be proud of.


I could sit back, resting on my laurels. Or I could finish the novels already started, the novellas from short stories. No promises this year. No resolutions. Done that enough times, only to disappoint myself. So, what to do?

The best I can. 

How about you?

Happy New Year to my colleagues and especially to our readers. May it be the best for all of us.



12 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

"The best I can". I like that! I still set goals to direct my time and attention in my career, but in life, the best you can is an excellent thing to strive for. Looking forward to that "best" alongside you, Di!! All the best in this shiny new 2023!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Nancy. I'm learning to accept the things I have no control over. A hard lesson, but one I need.

Jessica E. Subject said...

'The best I can' is a great way to start the new year! I'm starting the new year sick, so I hope it gets better from here. Yeah, three years into the pandemic, and it finally caught up to me, even with me taking precautions. So, I'm just doing the best I can right now, too. I've come to learn that some days, weeks, and months, I'm going to be more productive than others. And I have to accept that.

Happy New Year, Diane! And I hope 2023 brings you a year of good health and happiness for you and those you love!

Diane Burton said...

The same to you and your family, Jess.

What a way to start a new year. I'm so sorry you're sick. Rest and lots of fluids--always a good treatment no matter what the illness. Can't be all that different for covid. Hopefully, you'll feel better soon.

D. V. STONE said...

Happy new year! Wow 50 years😲

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Donna.

Tena Stetler said...

Congrats on your 50th, not many make it that far. As far as resolutions, made a few, 2022 was a rough year from beginning to end, but I did met most my goals for last year. This year, reasonable word count daily, hope to have two books published, the rest do the best I can, that's all we should ask of ourselves. Happy New Year!

Diane Burton said...

I hear you, Tena, about 2022 being a rough year. At least, you met your goals. I hope 2023 is better for all of us.

Maureen said...

Happy New Year! For 2023 I set goals as Best, better, and good. So I'll start by shooting for the best and evaluate each month or quarter since 2022 didn't work out as planned, lol.

Keri Kruspe said...

Happy New Year to all! Let's make 2023 the best ever... I like Diane's motto of accepting things we don't have any control over.

And congrats on the 50 years!

Diane Burton said...

Maureen, that sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Diane Burton said...

Keri, thanks. It's hard to accept what we have no control over. I don't think of The Serenity Prayer often enough. Happy New Year to you, too.