Friday, January 20, 2023

On the Road with D. V. Stone or how a full-time author travels and writes.





Happy New Year! We can still say that, right? As I was heading to my winter home in Florida (I’m retired from my paying job) thoughts about what to talk about this month. Then my phone dinged while sitting in a gas station off US 95. My book Felice hit number 5 on Amazon in the Romantic/Fantasy category. Not only did I try to do the happy dance in the truck, but the light bulb went off, and blogging about writing while traveling was born.

Back in 2017, hubby and I began talking about how we would spend our retirement. Going south was definitely in the plan. No more snow and ice. Pete previously slipped on ice and suffered major trauma to his leg, requiring surgery and months in a leg brace. To this day, he walks with a limp.

We have many friends in Florida. Okay, we had a general idea. But how? We couldn’t afford a second home, and we do love Northern New Jersey for the rest of the year.

A camper! That’s the ticket.

But I needed an office.

Okay, a big camper!

That’s what we did. After looking at between 50 and 60 rigs, we settled on 2HOOTs. She has a bunk house that doubles as an office and guest room. 


During our sojourn to the Sunshine State last year, I not only finished Jazz House but also wrote and contracted for Sophia’s Magic Beans (releases 4/10/23). Then I began a multi-author series called The Mortar & Pestle (Sea Hunter releases 3/16/23). So, for me, traveling is conducive to writing.

Over the summer, we continued to travel for research. Maine and Massachusetts are full of naval history, and visiting places is immersive. Talking to people and standing on the shores where so much history happened was amazing. 


 

Here’s my list of what I need to be a traveling author.

1. Internet access. (This is not guaranteed even in campgrounds that claim they have it.) We have one carrier for our phones, so I can hotspot another carrier for the truck. I’ve often been spotted wandering aimlessly around with my phone held high over my head searching. Emails, marketing, and zoom meetings are all a part of my life, and I need the connections.

2. I invested in a lap desk. It was inexpensive and comfortable (I’m using it now.)

3. The ability to focus. Writing is a full-time job for me, and I treat it as such. I get up and get ready like I’m still going to the office.

4. Know when enough is enough. Especially when I’m deep in research or editing, I can forget the time. Having a dog helps. She needs to go for walks, and so do I.

The lifestyle is not for everyone, but I’ve found my place. Inspiration, ideas, and research are around every bend in the road. If you haven’t yet, I hope this year you, too, find your place. If you have, then enjoy it.

What items can you not travel without? Where is your happy place?


7 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Have laptop will travel! I don't leave home without it. It goes with me to visit friends (I get up early and can sneak in work over that first cup of coffee). The first thing I check is internet availability. But even without it, I can save then upload later. I've begun new books from Arizona to Ireland because the one thing I can be sure of is that great idea striking when I not at my desk. Escape from writing? How, when the best tool - you mind - is always with you?!

D. V. Stone said...

You get it! I love to travel, and I love to write. Perfect match-up. Happy trails. D.

Bamakim said...

I always travel with my laptop in my knitting bag and always have a project to work on in the car, often socks. And a steno pad for quick notes and observations. Travel is marvelous for people watching and eavesdropping on conversations to find speech patterns in different regions.

Jennifer Ivy Walker said...

You are amzing, Donna! An inspiration to us all!

D. V. STONE said...

I love people watching. Peeking into their cars as they pass. Eye spy with my little eye...

Tena Stetler said...

I know exactly where you are coming from. As you know I now have a lap desk for my laptop. Traveling and writing will become a reality eventually. Well, I do it most of the spring and summer right now. Love people-watching, whether it's at the campground, while hiking or just passing by cars. LOL Enjoyed your posts!

Diane Burton said...

I, too, have a lap desk for my laptop. Don't know why I didn't get one sooner. You have a great schedule. That always helps. With determination and perseverance, you'll get that next book written. Congrats on #5 in the Romantic/Fantasy category. Whoo-hoo!