Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Anticipation by Diane Burton


credit: Newsweek

When you read the title of my post, I wonder how many of you thought of the Carly Simon song or the Heinz ketchup commercial. No matter. They are the same. Even typing the word made the commercial pop into my head.

What am I anticipating? Sure isn't publishing a new book. I'm working on them. Yes, more than one at a time. I found my way past the roadblock in my cozy mystery and thought of a way to get out of the corner I'd painted myself into in my science fiction romance. So, I'm sort of back on track.

As I write this post (yesterday), I'm eagerly awaiting the new season of The Mandalorian. I love this program. When Disney Plus came out, I didn't see a reason for subscribing. I could get all the Disney programs on regular TV . . . or so I thought. My son told me about this really good series that he was sure I'd like. Was he ever right! As you read this, I've probably already watched Episode 1 of Season 3 while enjoying my first cup of coffee this morning. 


What's the appeal? In many ways, the program reminds me of the American Old West. Instead of the wild frontier, the series takes place on the fringe of space. Since my latest book series takes place on the Outer Rim, I'm especially interested in how the writers conceived the planets. Deserts, frozen lands, small towns, for instance. Definitely no big cities. The Mandalorian himself is reminiscent of bounty hunters of the 1800s. The loner who earns his living capturing wanted persons.

credit: Amazon


The show became more appealing when a bounty turns out to be a kid--Baby Yoda (of Star Wars fame). We eventually find out his name is really Grogu, but he'll always be Baby Yoda to me. LOL The kid, as The Mandalorian calls him, brings companionship to the guy who never needed anyone. Grogu needed rescuing, but in actuality he rescues the Mandalorian from a lonely life. Other characters populate places the Mandalorian goes to--some allies and, to liven things up, some enemies. Nasty people who want Grogu for their nefarious work. Some of the best humorous scenes are with Grogu.

I understand a 4th season is in the works. Hurray! As soon as Season 3 ends, I'll eagerly anticipate the next one. 

Besides the release of your own books, what do you await with bated breath? What do you anticipate?

   

16 comments:

Keri Kruspe said...

Hi Diane,

Okay, you caught me. When I read your title, I did think of the song (what can I say, I'm a "seasoned" woman!).

But I just like you, giddy with "anticipation" for the new season (who doesn't adore Grogu??). I admit I like Pedro in "The Last of Us" as well. Had a chance to watch that?

Nancy Gideon said...

I confess - I watch it for Tim Olyphant (Justified, which comes back to TV with a new season!!). But now that I'm watching Pedro Pascale in The Last of Us, I'm more excited to get back to it. It's very well done SciFi and I'd love to cuddle Grogu! And your SciFi is something to crow about, too. And WHEN will we see more of it???

Diane Burton said...

I haven't seen The Last of Us. With both of you recommending it, I'll have to check it out. Tim O. did a great job. Too bad he didn't stay longer. Hubs commandeered the TV this morning so I haven't seen the new episode of The Mandalorian yet. Soon.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Ah, I can't watch The Mandalorian without my husband. He's been anxiously awaiting this new season, too. I would love to watch The Last Of Us, too, but we don't subscribe to a streaming service that offers that show. I did watch Jung_E from my scifi of 2023 post. It's a great futuristic movie about clones/the idea of putting your mind into a look-alike body.

Congrats on pushing past your road blocks for your stories, Diane! And I hope you have a wonderful March!

Maureen said...

That's a tough question since I don't watch that many shows. I am eager to see what happens next in YellowJackets and Evil. But those are both a month or more out.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You're right. In my life, it was a commercial before it was a song. Reminds me of my son when he was a toddler, I was listening to "I Feel Like A Woman" and he said, "Man, this is a really long commercial!" I then realized the song was now just a Maybeline jingle to him.

Good luck on the new release!

Tricia Schneider said...

I'm right there with you! I'm eagerly looking forward to the next season of The Mandalorian. In fact, my kids and I just rewatched the last season to refresh our memories.

Right now, I'm also anticipating each new episode of The Last of Us. I guess I'm officially a Pedro Pascal fan now. :) I watched The Last of Us as a video game, but I'm enjoying HBO's version. Same story with some changes here or there. I don't care. I'm loving it! It's intense with a lot of feels. I can't wait for more!

Diane Burton said...

I didn't realize The Last of Us is on HBO. Now I have to decide which channel to drop so I can add HBO. That's how it works here. LOL I did get to watch The Mandalorian yesterday. Interesting how Nevarro has changed.

Tricia, I, too, binge-watched the previous season to be prepared for this one.

Diane Burton said...

Jessica, I haven't heard of Jung_E. Have to check that out. I recently read a book with the concept of putting your mind into a lookalike's body.

Diane Burton said...

I just read about Yellow Jackets. Another show to check out. Thanks, Maureen.

Diane Burton said...

Elizabeth, our kids don't understand that some commercials use recently popular songs as background. A shame they didn't hear that song as an original.

Diane Burton said...

Tricia, hope you got to see the new episode. Now, I'm anticipating the next one. LOL

J.Q. Rose said...

Huh! Do I ever feel like a fish out of water. I don't have the service that offers Mandalorian, but I feel like I'm missing something after your excellent overview of it. Thrilled you could knock out writer's block when writing your cozy mystery. (love that genre).

Tena Stetler said...

Oh, I love the Mandalorian! Couldn't wait for season three. So glad to hear season 4 is in the works.

What do I anticipate TV wise, is the show Alaska Daily! It's returned and I just watched the new episode last night. Love that show!
This year I am waiting with bated breath for spring to return. IT's been a long, cold, brutal winter. The ground is still frozen, no sign of my spring flowers. Enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing! Sorry I'm late.

Diane Burton said...

Janet, you have to subscribed to Disney to get The Mandalorian. I'm surprised at all the adult shows there are on this network. Of course, there's always the old Disney movies to watch, too. Thanks for stopping by.

Diane Burton said...

Tena, never too late to comment. I get way behind some weeks. Glad you enjoy The Mandalorian, too. Yes, indeed, it's been a long winter. You've had it worse than we have. I'm ready for Spring. We dodged the last storm, thank goodness.